Artist Call DetailI Breathe With You
For International artists
I Breathe With You is an international exhibition open to the general public. The exclamation “I can’t breathe” was made by Eric Garner, an African American man, 11 times while lying face down on the sidewalk after being placed in a police chokehold. He died one hour later from a heart attack due to injuries to his neck and chest. A grand jury decided not to indict the offending police officer. “I can’t breathe” has become one of the most recognizable utterances of recent protests against oppression.
I Breathe With You establishes the artist as an ally to people and communities that suffer social injustices and other atrocities. We believe, as Senegalese filmmaker Ousman Sembene once declared, “The artist stands at the helm of the boat pointing the way.” We therefore invite you, the artist, to consider any one of the following in order to inspire an original artwork for this exhibition:
What form of bias or discrimination has become deplorable to you? What does it look like? Feel like? Who or how are individuals or communities affected? What would best solve this condition? What steps should we take to eliminate it? What one act might you perform to improve this condition? What would full health feel or look like for the one suffering? Other thoughts?
I Breathe With You is a juried exhibition with the following guidelines:
- 2D art: works on paper or unstretched canvas. No framed works.
- Performance art - video submissions only (youtube links only; maximum time: 8 minutes)
- Size limit: no larger than 24” X 36”
- All styles welcome (figurative, abstract, landscape, mixed-media, traditional, experimental, conceptual, prints, paintings, drawing, others)
- *We encourage artists to be as focused and specific in their thinking and artwork as possible in order that this exhibition may have maximum impact.
- Submission Deadline: August 1, 2015
- Notification of Acceptance Deadline: October 1, 2015
- Deadline For Receiving Artwork: December 1, 2015
- Exhibition Dates: February 1 – May 15, 2016
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Artist Statement (should not exceed 5 sentences. Please include information about art submission including influences on your thinking about the subject of your work)
- Artist Bio (4-5 sentences)
- For 2D art (maximum 3 jpg images)
- For Performance art (youtube links)
Please send all submission materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
No submission fee required!
Accepted artists who live outside the U.S. may submit original artwork, OR jpg image (to be projected during exhibition), and are responsible for mailing art and providing return postage-paid label. Work will be returned in original packaging.
All information is provided in this Call for Entries. DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL
Augusta Savage Gallery
Contact: Alexia Cota