Artist Call DetailDay of the Dead: Celebrating the Beauty of Life
For California artists
CALL FOR ENTRIES: Celebrando la Hermosura de la Vida - Celebrating the Beauty of Life
The Sun Gallery will host an exhibition Celebrando la Hermosura de la Vida: Celebrating the Beauty of Life from October 15th November 7th, 2015.
This exhibition will feature works centering around the theme of Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), focusing on works that capture beauty, vibrancy and celebration in memory of those who have passed on. Dia de los Muertos originates from Mexico, but is celebrated in many other parts of the world. Many works that are inspired by this holiday include strong vibrant color, skeletons, flowers, and crosses. Altars are also a part of this celebration. If you are interested in installing an altar please let us know a little more about your concept. We are calling for submissions of art for this exhibit. Artwork can be any media including, but not limited to, painting, sculpture, glass-work, ceramics, drawing, photography and assemblage. Artwork will be juried for entry digitally or by photo at no cost to the artist.
- Important Dates: Last submittal date to be on postcard: Thursday Sept. 24th
- Drop off dates: Sunday Oct. 4 and Monday Oct. 5, 11-4 pm
- Work will be considered up until Oct. 8th on a space available basis.
- Celebration and Artists Reception: Saturday Oct. 31 from 2-6 (lunch/dinner fundraiser: $5 plate - authentic Mexican food)
- Pick up of work: Sunday Nov. 8 & Monday Nov. 9 from 11-4
Submission of Works:
You may email your contact information, including your E-Mail address and phone number, along with your jpeg images to email@example.com with "Celebrando la Hermosura de la Vida" in the subject line or by regular mail to 1015 E St., Hayward CA 94541-5210. JPEGs should be no larger than 8â€ in height and 300 dpi maximum. Please name your files as follows: firstinitial.lastname.title.jpg. If you are submitting via CD, please use the same criteria. If you have any questions, please contact us by email:firstname.lastname@example.org or give the Artistic Director, Dorsi Diaz, a call at 510.581.4050. Artists will be notified on an ongoing basis if their art has been selected for this show. If your work is chosen to be part of the show you will be e-mailed a contract and an inventory list. Group and student submissions from High School art teachers are welcome and will be free.
The following are the guidelines and fees for the show:
- Fee: Members: $30 for up to 3 pieces not to exceed 24 sq. feet in wall area, and $5 per additional piece. Non-members: $45 /3 pieces same as above.
- You can pick up postcard invitations at the gallery prior to the show, or if you want them mailed to you, add another $5.00. Please make your check payable to Sun Gallery. If you wish to pay by credit card you can come to the gallery or call during regular business hours.
- Artists must identify their work with a label attached to the front of the artwork with: name, title of the art piece, medium, and price. All of this information must also be submitted on your inventory sheet. This info will be used for the wall labels. All wall mounted work must be wired and ready to hang, matted and framed or edges gallery wrapped and finished. No special installation requirements and no ceiling mounted works are eligible. We reserve the right to refuse accepted work that arrives damaged, is too fragile to be exhibited or was misrepresented in submission.
- If you submit one, a one-page artist statement or bio will be displayed in a binder that accompanies the show.
- Sun Gallery does not provide art insurance on your work. The Gallery will take every precaution to ensure the safety of your pieces, however, we cannot be held responsible for theft or damage to your work while on the gallery premises. Each artist, if they wish, may provide their own insurance.
- Sun Gallery will keep a 30% commission on any sale of artwork.
- No artwork will be removed from exhibition during the show.
- Out of Area Artists: Artists are responsible for their shipping costs for the show. Work should arrive by October 5th, 2015. Should your work not sell, you will be responsible for the shipping costs for their return. Work should be shipped in a reusable carton/box or packing crate. No Styrofoam peanuts please! Please include a $25 check payable to Sun Gallery to cover the labor expense for uncrating, storage of crates, re-crating your painting and contracting a shipper for return. In a separate check, include a check made out to Sun Gallery to cover the cost of return shipping unless you provide your billing account number with a shipping company. Both checks should be in an envelope inside the crate with your artwork.
- Local Artists: Deliver uncrated, ready to hang or show, artwork to the Sun Gallery on the following dates: Sunday, October 4th, 11a.m. - 4 p.m. and Monday, October 5th, 11a.m. - 4 p.m.
- If the above dates do not work for you, please contact Dorsi Diaz, the Artistic Director, at 510.581.4050 to make alternative arrangements.
Celebration and Artists Reception: An artist reception will be planned for Saturday, October 31st, 2015, 2:00 p.m. 6:00 p.m with food, music and dance performances. Please try and ensure that you will be available to attend if your artwork is selected. This event serves as a fundraiser for the Sun Gallery. Visitors are asked for a donation of $5.00 for food.
Authentic Mexican style food will be served. The Sun Gallery Building Community Through Creativity 1015 E St. Hayward CA 510.581.4050 email@example.com sungallery.org - http://www.sungallery.org/ Gallery Hours 11-5 pm, Thursday - Sunday The Sun Gallery is a 501c3 non-profit organization supported in part by the City of Hayward, H.A.R.D., its membership, ACAC ARTSFUND Grant, Dr. Marion Kramer, Assemblyman District 20 Bill Quirk and Carpenters Union Local 713.
Contact: Dorsi Diaz