Artist Call DetailOutdoor Mural & Outdoor Garden Art
For National artists
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) is the frontline law firm for low-income people. We seek to achieve equal justice for poor and low-income people in greater Los Angeles. We change lives through direct legal representation, systems change and community education. LAFLA is building a new headquarters to be located at 1550 W. 8th Street. The new four-story building will include a mural on the Union Street side. It will also have a fourth floor conference center and community space with an outdoor garden.
- Illustrate our diverse client communities;
- Beautify our new headquarters; and
- Collaborate with local youth.
Requirement of both projects:
- The design will be suitable for pubic viewing of all ages and cultures.
- The artist must be a fine arts artist with a proven track record.
- Preference will be given to local Southern California artists.
- Preference will be given to a project working with local youth.
- The artist must be approachable and able to communicate vision, idea, and plan to the design committee, the press, and the public throughout the completion of the project.
About the Mural Project:
- The space available for the mural is a 60’ x 21’ foot rectangle on the second floor of the building, facing Union Street. There are six windows within the mural space. The total square footage available for the mural, excluding windows, is 1,172 square feet.
- The mural location is on the western façade, direct sunlight (minimal shading by two street trees); it protrudes from the wall at varying depths from a couple of inches to several to being freestanding at one area; it starts at the second story and is 21’-0” high (and 60’-6” long).
- The project budget is not to exceed $30,000 and is all-inclusive for an artist or team of collaborative artists. The project budget includes any artist(s) fee, supplies, scaffolding, permits, insurance and other associated costs and contingencies.
About the Garden Project:
- The selected artist will be required to conceptualize, design, construct, and provide oversight for the installation of two custom benches and a stand-alone art piece. The benches may be freeform mosaic, tiled, wrought iron or otherwise constructed. The stand-alone piece may be three dimensional or flush with the pavement in a mosaic, tile or relief format. The pieces should be linked together in some manner.
- The custom benches will be placed near planters and must ensure that seating support and accessibility standards are met.
- The project budget is $20,000 and is all-inclusive. The project budget includes any artist(s) fee, supplies, and other associated costs and contingencies.
- RFP will be available September 1, 2015.
- Proposals will be due to LAFLA by November 30, 2015.
- LAFLA will interview applicants between December 14, 2015- January 14, 2016.
- The building will be mural-ready approximately June 2016.
- The building will be garden-ready approximately September 2016.
- Completion date will be approximately December 2016.
Proposal Guidelines: All proposals must contain each of the following components in the order listed. Proposals are due no later than 5:00 pm on November 30, 2015. Artists may be contacted during the review process for interview. Proposals shall be submitted via email to: email@example.com. All components of each proposal should be saved into a single PDF document that is printable on 8½ x 11 white paper. Artists may apply for both the mural and garden projects.
Each proposal must include:
- Artist’s resume, complete with contact information and artist statement;
- Project narrative not to exceed 500 words;
- To scale full color drawing illustration of the concept;
- Supplemental project information, including materials/medium to be used, process of completion (will the artist be using paint, vinyl wraps, grids, pounce patterns, projection, tile, metal etc.), suggestions for community involvement, etc.;
- Itemized budget (including quotes for paint or vinyl, tile, metal, supplies, artist fees, scaffolding rental, sealant and any other associated costs);
- Pictures of 3-5 supporting relevant pieces of original art completed by the artist. Examples should describe size, materials, cost, time, and relevance; and
- List of three professional references and their contact information.
Complete proposals should be sent to:
Chief Development and Marketing Director
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
1102 Crenshaw Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90019
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA
Contact: Lynn Etkins