Artist Call DetailVisArts Open Call for Bresler Residency
For International artists
Available Residency Dates:
May 4- August 28, 2016
August 31 – December 21, 2016
2016 Bresler Resident Artist Exhibition: December 2016 – January 2017
Each year the Bresler Residency will focus on visual artists whose primary residency practice will involve the following:
- 2016 – Painting, Drawing
- 2017 – Social/Environmental/Community Engagement, Performance. Call for 2017 Residency applications opens May 4, 2016.
- 2018 – Sound, Video, New Media. Call for 2018 Residency applications opens May 5, 2017.
- 2019 – Sculpture, Installation. Call for 2019 Residency applications opens May 4, 2018.
In honor of VisArts patrons, Fleur and Charles Bresler, VisArts invites applications and proposals from local, national, and international artists for a four month residency at VisArts at Rockville. This residency provides a unique opportunity for a dynamic individual artist or collaborative artist team to create a new body of work, evolve an existing body of work or develop a project in a stimulating, supportive environment. Studio space is provided free of charge. The residency encourages interaction, dialogue and exploration both within the VisArts artist community and the larger Rockville community as well. The residency offers the gift of time and space to three artists and/or collaborative artist teams each year to experiment and realize new work. Each year the current Bresler Resident Artists will present their work in a three-person exhibition at VisArts.
The Bresler Residency does not provide housing for artists. Please contact VisArts directly for resources regarding housing during the residency period.
Terms of Residency:
- Qualified applicants are professional individual artists or collaborative artist teams over the age of 18; the program is not designed for program is not designed for undergraduate students or commercial artists.
- Artists working in all media are welcome to apply, but VisArts cannot support the use of hazardous materials that require specific ventilation requirements.
- The studio may be used only for art-making activities.
- The Bresler Resident Artist will be provided with a 169 square foot studio. free of charge, for a period of four months. Each studio is equipped with a sink, Wi-Fi connection and abundant natural light. Studio access is 24/7 except during special VisArts events (advance notice will be given). The artist must provide his/her own studio furniture.
- The Bresler Resident Artist is responsible for maintaining the studio in a safe and reasonably tidy manner, and will not make alterations to the space without permission. The artist must leave the studio in the state in which it was found and remove all belongings at the end of the residency.
- The Bresler Resident Artist is responsible for acquisition, insurance, and care of his/her materials and equipment. Artists who wish to have kilns and other equipment that create additional electrical use must obtain permission for each piece of equipment that they wish to use in their studios. There will be a utility surcharge of up to $40.00 per month for those studios that have kilns or other equipment. Use and scheduling of VisArts education studio equipment and additional charges will be determined by the VisArts Education director at her sole discretion.
Apply online : To complete the online application and submit all images and required documents, Click Here. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Individual or artist collaborative teams may apply. If applying as a collaborative team, please submit work samples that reflect evidence of prior collaborative projects.
- Bresler Residency Application Form
- 10 work samples from the last 3 years. Work samples can be a combination of high resolution image files and time-based media (*up to 10 minutes total).
- *2 minutes of video, film, sound or performance documentation = one work
- Image Requirements: You may submit up to 10 images. They must be in .jpg, .jpeg, .png, or .gif file format. Minimum image resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Maximum file size 5MB per image.
- Files must be labeled in the following way: first name last name_title of artwork_1, first name last name_title of artwork_2, etc. The file number corresponds with the number on the list of works. (Ex. John Doe_Untitled_1.jpg)
- List of Works Form- Number and label each work in the following way: Artist name, title of artwork, year, media, dimensions, description of artwork is optional.
- Artist statement (100 words max.)
- Brief bio (100 words max.)
- Residency proposal: Describe your project, goals for the residency, and how you might engage with the community or use community resources. You may include a drawing or representative images to help describe your specific proposal. (250 words max.)
- Indicate preferred residency dates (first and second choice)
- $15 application fee
VisArts at Rockville
Contact: Susan Main