Artist Call DetailCapitola Plein Air 2016
For Western States artists
Welcome to Capitola Art & Cultural Commission's second annual Capitola Plein Air juried competition, exhibition and sale! We are delighted to invite you to register for the chance to paint en plein air all around Capitola November 2nd-5th, 2016, and compete for the blue ribbon on Sunday, November 6, 2016.
Artists have four full painting days.
More than $2500 in prizes will be awarded.
1st Place: winning entry will be purchased for $1,500, added to the City's public art collection, and may be featured in subsequent promotion for the event.
2nd Place: winning entry will be purchased for $800, and added to the City's public art collection.
3rd Place: Ribbon and gift basket
Honorable Mentions: Ribbon only
People Choice and others: TBD
1st place: $100 cash for the winning entry.
Honorable Mention: ribbon only
Up to three paintings may be hung for the competition on November 6.
Register online at OnlineJuried Shows
- A nonrefundable entry fee of $45 is payable at registration.
- You may submit up to three images for the jury to consider. Submit works in the medium you plan to paint in.
- Artists will be notified of invitations to paint by September 10.
- The commission on sales is 30%, with artists retaining 70% of sale price.
- Artists are responsible for all transactions, record keeping, and sales tax, and commissions will be payable at the close of the exhibition.
- Any artist registered in the professional division may sell their works, provided they were painted during the course of the event. Artists may also sell artwork at their painting site, and will be subject to the 30% commission. Please be honorable about sales made on painting days.
- The display wall for each artist at the sale is 3' x 6'. All works displayed at Sunday's sale must be framed, and must not extend beyond the edges of the display area .
- All paintings on display must be available for purchase.
Lodging with host families for our out-of-town artists are not guaranteed. Reduced hotel rates with event partners will be made available.
About the Art & Cultural Commission
The Capitola Art and Cultural Commission also produces other cultural events, such as the Twilight Concerts, Summer Movies at the Beach, and the Art & Music at the Beach Series. They instigate the call for all new works in the City's Public Art Collection, and recently released a free iOS app that provides information about local historic sites and public art, the "Capitola Self-Guided Tour of Public Art and Historic Sites," available at the Apple app store. More info at http://www.cityofcapitola.org/acc/page/art-cultural-commission
Capitola Art and Cultural Commission
Contact: Jenny Shelton