Artist Call DetailLydon Emerging Artist Program (LEAP) Award 2017
For National artists
LEAP Award 2017
Lydon Emerging Artist Program
- Established in 2007 honoring Kate Lydon, SCC’s Director of Exhibitions, for her 20 years of service to the organization.
- Recognizes exceptional emerging talent in the contemporary craft field and provides opportunities for early career artists to bring their artwork to the consumer market.
- Retail gallery program which features, markets and sells the work of one winner and 6 finalists.
- $1000 prize, national promotion and one-year exhibit for winner; finalists receive special features on rotating basis throughout 2017.
Brigitte Martin is the creator and Editor-in-Chief of crafthaus, a social network and online art community for professional craft artists worldwide. As the national juror and curator for crafthaus, Brigitte is at the forefront of current trends and happenings in the international craft community and is committed to bringing awareness beyond the usual art and craft circles.
- LEAP is open to exceptionally talented artists who are in the early stages of their career. “Emerging” artists may have had some professional experience (i.e., exhibitions, sales, publication, etc), but not yet have established reputations as artists.
- Artists must work in craft media: ceramics, wood, metal/jewelry, glass, found materials, mixed media, fiber or a combination of these materials.
Upon being selected to participate, SCC will receive a 50% commission on artworks sold. Commissions received through SCC sales help support the education and community outreach programs of the nonprofit organization.
RIGHT TO REPRODUCE
SCC reserves the right to photograph exhibited work, and use photographs -or the artist’s entry images -in both printed and electronic materials for publicity and promotion.
$1000 cash prize
7 artists will be chosen to participate in LEAP (1 winner/6 finalists)
One-way transportation and insurance of finalists’ works must be paid by the artist; the organizers will pay return transportation and insurance costs. Works must be packed securely and double boxed in reusable crates with thorough re-packing instructions.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION CHECKLIST
Item 1 can be mailed or paid online. (If mailed, postmarked by 9/30/16). Items 2-6 must be submitted electronically. Please prepare the following BEFORE starting the ONLINE submission process. All six items listed below must be completed in order for you to be considered for the LEAP Award.
- Entry Fee of $25 paid via PayPal or check/money order and mailed to Society for Contemporary Craft;
- Entry Form (attached)
- Statement (space on entry form) articulating why you believe you are an “emerging” artist and how this award will benefit your studio practice (250-word maximum);
- Resume (2-page maximum) in doc or pdf format (file size must be under 1MB);
- 6 representative images similar in quality and nature to the work the artist would enter if selected as a finalist, images need not be the exact pieces the artist intends to enter;
- Image Detail Form (attached) that includes: title, date, medium, size, weight, retail value
LEAP AWARD CALENDAR
- Call for Artists begins July 1, 2016
- Deadline for Entries September 30, 2016
- Notification of Finalists October 14, 2016
- LEAP features begin January 16, 2017
- Make check or money order payable to SCC and mail to the below address. You can also pay the fee via PayPal by going to http://bit.ly/14EPzCF
Society for Contemporary Craft
The Store – LEAP
2100 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
- To electronically submit items 2-6, go to http://bit.ly/1WHOdo1 and enter password: sccthestore. Each uploaded file must be labeled with your full name and content. For example, sally.smith.resume.doc or sally.smith.image1.jpg. The only verification you’ll receive through this file transfer service is a small checkmark that appears at the bottom right after the file has successfully uploaded.
Questions or concerns?
Email Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Society for Contemporary Craft
Contact: Megan Crowell