Artist Call DetailThe Yud Video Project
For International artists
The Contemporary Jewish Museum is pleased to announce an open call for submissions for The Yud Video Project.
Expanding on the upcoming contemporary art exhibition From Generation to Generation: Inherited Memory and Contemporary Art’s focus on recollections and reconstructions of the past, The Yud Video Project’s theme is “Memory.” Through the format of video and ever-accessible technology, moments are now recorded with the utmost ease and then translated into saved memories. However, edited video has tremendous power in recreating, rethinking, and reconstructing these very same moments. For this exhibition, submissions are encouraged to explore the unique ways memory is portrayed through video as an art form.
Submit your video to The Contemporary Jewish Museum and, if selected, your work will be featured in the Stephen and Maribelle Leavitt Yud Gallery, one of the most beautiful gallery spaces in The CJM’s Daniel Libeskind designed museum. Selected entries will be screened in the gallery during Museum hours from November 25, 2016 to July 9, 2017.
Artists whose videos are chosen will be given a complimentary membership to The Museum.
Artists of all backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Conditions for Submission:
- Artists must be 18 years old or over.
- Video must be original and not exceed five minutes.
- Video must include an opening slide that contains the title of the work, the artist’s name, and the year it was created.
- If the video uses a language other than English, English subtitles must be provided and embedded on the video file.
- Submissions must include Entry Form signed and completed. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
Directions for submission:
1. Submit Online
Upload the video to Vimeo
- If you do not have an account, you may need to create one
- Please choose the option to protect the video with a password
- Under privacy settings, ensure that the “download the video” option is checked
Send an email with video URL and the password to firstname.lastname@example.org with a completed and signed Entry Form.
2. Submit by mail
- Mail an SD card with the digital video work along with a completed and signed Entry Form to The Contemporary Jewish Museum. Materials will not be returned.
- Mail to:
55 Fourth Street Contemporary Jewish Museum Loading Dock
San Francisco, CA 94103
Artists will be notified when The CJM has received their submission. The deadline for submissions is October 15, 2016. Artists that are selected will be notified by November 1.
- .mov (preferred)
- Apple ProRes (preferred)
- H264 (only if bitrate > 4Mbs )
- NTSC only
- 720x400 up to HD material of 1920x1080
- 48kHz sound PCM (only uncompressed)
- MP3 / AAC (if possible > 160 kBit/s)
- We only accept multiplexed files (audio and video in one file).
- We also recommend submitting only progressive or de-interlaced footage. Uploading interlaced footage will result in bad quality of your processed file.
- Make sure that your video has no color bar or any blackness before the video starts and right after it ends.
- Videos will be shown on monitor screens and audio will be played through headphones and may be grouped with other videos. Form of display is non-negotiable.
The Contemporary Jewish Museum
San Francisco, CA
Contact: Sophie Schwabacher