Artist Call DetailDay of the Dead Exhibition
For California artists
CALL FOR ART :
The Day of the Dead - The Art of Dia de los Muertos
Thursday Oct. 13 - Saturday Nov. 5
The Sun Gallery is planning our Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) Exhibit from Oct. 23 - Nov.5, 2016. We are inviting emerging and prominent artists from our local area as well as the greater Bay Area.
Artwork can be any media including, but not limited to, painting, sculpture, glass-work, ceramics, altars, drawing, photography and assemblage.
The gallery will be using an extensive mailing list for publicity. A reception for the artists and public is scheduled on Saturday October 29, from 2 pm to 6 pm.
The following are the guidelines and fees for the show:
1) Fee: Members: $30 for up to 3 pieces not to exceed 24 sq. feet in wall area, and $5 per additional piece. Non-members: $45 /3 pieces same as above.
2) You can pick up postcard invitations at the gallery prior to the show, or if you want them mailed to you, add another $5.00. Please make your check payable to Sun Gallery. If you wish to pay by credit card you can come to the gallery or call during regular business hours.
3) Artists must identify their work with a label attached to the front of the artwork with: name, title of the art piece, medium, and price. All of this information must also be submitted on your inventory sheet. This info will be used for the wall labels. All wall mounted work must be wired and ready to hang, matted and framed or edges gallery wrapped and finished. No special installation requirements and no ceiling mounted works are eligible. We reserve the right to refuse accepted work that arrives damaged, is too fragile to be exhibited or was misrepresented in submission.
4) If you submit one, a one-page artist statement or bio will be displayed in a binder that accompanies the show.
5) Sun Gallery does not provide art insurance on your work. The Gallery will take every precaution to ensure the safety of your pieces, however, we cannot be held responsible for theft or damage to your work while on the gallery premises. Each artist, if they wish, may provide their own insurance.
6) Sun Gallery will keep a 30% commission on any sale of artwork.
7) No artwork will be removed from exhibition during the show.
8) Artists: Deliver uncrated, ready to hang or show, artwork to the Sun Gallery on the following dates: Saturday, October 1 from 12 –3. and Sunday, October 2
from 12 - 3
10) If the above dates do not work for you, please contact Dorsi Diaz, the Artistic Director, at 510.581.4050 to make alternative arrangements.
An artist reception will be planned for Saturday, October 29 , 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m with food, music and dance performances.
If you are interested in volunteering to help at this event, please contact Sun Gallery or Dorsi Diaz.
Important Dates and Details for the 2016 Sun Gallery Day of the Dead Exhibit:
Last submittal date to be on the postcard: Thursday Sept. 22 (by 9 am)
Last submittal date for show: Thursday Sept. 29 (9 am) on a space available basis.
Drop off dates for art: Sat. Oct. 1 from 12-3 and Sunday Oct. 2 from 12-3 pm (if you are building an altar please contact the Director for available set-up times)
Celebration and Artists Reception: Saturday Oct. 29 from 2-6 (lunch/dinner fundraiser: $5 plate - authentic Mexican food)
Pick up of work: Sunday Nov. 6 from 12-4
Submission of Works:
You may email your contact information, including your E-Mail address and phone number, along with your jpeg images to email@example.com with "2016 Day of the Dead" in the subject line or by regular mail to 1015 E St., Hayward CA 94541-5210. JPEGs should be no larger than 8” in height and 300 dpi maximum. Please name your files as follows: firstinitial.lastname.title.jpg. If you are submitting via CD, please use the same criteria.
If you have any questions or need to set up a time for altar building, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or give the Artistic Director, Dorsi Diaz, a call at 510.581.4050. Artists will be notified on an ongoing basis if their art has been selected for this show. If your work is chosen to be part of the show you will be e-mailed a contract and an inventory list.
Group and student submissions from High School art teachers are welcome and will be free.
Thank you and we are looking forward to seeing your work! This is always a favorite exhibit for the community, and we look forward to meeting you.
The Sun Gallery
Building Community Through Creativity
1015 E St.
Gallery Hours 11-5 pm, Thursday - Sunday
The Sun Gallery is a 501c3 non-profit organization supported in part by the City of Hayward, H.A.R.D., its membership, ACAC ARTSFUND Grant, Patra Nesseth-Steffes, Dr. Marion Kramer, Assemblyman District 20 Bill Quirk and Carpenters Union Local 713.
Sun Gallery - Hayward Area Forum of the Arts
Contact: Dorsi Diaz