Artist Call DetailRood Bridge Park, Hillsboro Oregon
For International artists
Rood Bridge Park, Hillsboro, Oregon
The City of Hillsboro, Oregon, eighteen miles west of Portland, seeks a qualified artist/artist team to create an original outdoor work in a beautifully landscaped and highly used 60 acre park on the north bank of the Tualatin River.
The goal is to create a gathering place that:
- Takes advantage of the expansive views of the rolling terrain and scenic stone bridges.
- Could be a shelter, seating area or sculpture in the landscape
- Creates a more intimate and contemplative counterpoint to the active picnic shelters and play areas nearby.
- Is welcoming and accessible to all.
Deadline: May 2, 2017 (11:59 PM) Mountain Time
Eligibility: Open to artists in North America and British Columbia
The City of Hillsboro Public Art Program commissions artwork to create memorable landmarks and engaging gathering places that welcome you to a city that values community and creativity. Hillsboro is the most ethnically diverse city in Oregon. Eighteen miles west of Portland, Hillsboro maintains a small town feel, with a historic Main Street nestled in an agricultural heartland of nurseries and vineyards alongside high tech centers. The Parks Department is noted for its high quality facilities that are well designed and well maintained.
The site is a lawn area, very visible and accessible to all from nearby parking. The slightly elevated area affords expansive views of the rolling terrain and scenic stone bridges. The goal is to create a focal point that could incorporate a picnic area or seating. It may be a structure that provides some protection from sun and rain or a sculpture that creates a gathering place. This project would be a more intimate and contemplative counterpoint to the active picnic shelters and play areas nearby.
Application Guidelines and Schedule
- All submitted and complete applications will be subjected to a juried evaluation process through the CaFÉ application system www.callforentry.org. This is a request for qualifications (RFQ). There is no proposal desired at this time. There is no fee to apply. Artists with no prior public art experience are not eligible to apply.
Deadline: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 midnight (11:59 PM) Mountain Time
Selection criteria include:
- Artistic excellence
- Experience with projects of similar budget and scale.
- Past projects that show durability, safety and ease of maintenance in outdoor locations
All applications must include the following to be considered.
- Artist statement, not exceeding 1000 characters, outlining your qualifications and interest in this project, a general approach to this project, and previous relevant experience.
- Visual documentation (up to 10 images) in digital format of artwork that shows your experience with art projects of this scale. CaFÉ requires that images be 1920 x 1920 pixels. Please see the Image Prep tutorial for assistance.
- Current resume with contact information, not exceeding 2 pages for each artist or artist team member.
PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE (Dates subject to change except entry deadline)
Deadline for applications through CAFÉ
May 2 , 2017
Artist selected via Skype interview.
Site visit and orientation for selected artist.
Design proposal presentation
Completion of artwork
We are here to help, contact:
Valerie Otani | Public Art Program Supervisor
City of Hillsboro, Oregon
503-615-3489 | firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Hillsboro Public Art
Contact: Valerie Otani