Grant DetailGrant Programs in the fields of environment, historic preservation, and human migrations
J.M. Kaplan Fund
The J.M. Kaplan Fund is a family foundation. The four children and seven grandchildren of Jacob M. Kaplan constitute the Fund's Board of Trustees.
The J.M. Kaplan Fund was established in 1945 by businessman and philanthropist Jacob Merrill Kaplan (1891-1987) who was its president until 1977. The Fund was capitalized by profits from Mr. Kaplan's business operations, most notably the sale of the Welch Grape Company to the National Grape Co-operative Association in Westfield, New York. The newly established Fund won recognition for major commitments to the New School (where Mr. Kaplan served as board chairman for twenty years), Carnegie Hall (which he helped save), and the movement for union democracy. The Fund also became known for small grants given quickly for emergencies or as seed money to attract other fundin
Common Grants. Three-fifths of the grants budget is awarded by the trustees acting in common. These common funds go to three grant programs operating in three geographic areas.
The three programs are:
- Historic preservation;
- Human migrations.
The three areas are:
- New York City
- North America
Each of the three programs is undertaken in each of the three areas, though with different emphases and varied allocations. The trustees are particularly interested in proposals that involve more than one program or more than one area.
Due to its narrow funding focus, the Fund makes grants by invitation only.
Contact: Angela Carabine, Grants Manager
Grant link: http://www.jmkfund.org/history