Arts Jobs - DetailExhibitions & Public Programs Manager
Position Title: Exhibitions and Public Programs Manager
Supervisor: Executive Director
PTE: 24 hours/week
The Exhibitions and Public Programs Manager manages all Arts Benicia exhibitions, events, volunteer program, gallery operations, and provides marketing, outreach, and communications support.
General Program Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with staff and ED to coordinate Arts Benicia exhibition calendars, web calendars, schedules, and timelines, including both on-site and off-site exhibitions and events.
- Work collaboratively with staff and ED to develop varied and engaging exhibitions, and events, and encourage educational programming in keeping with Arts Benicia’s mission.
- Maintain the gallery; oversee maintenance and cleanliness of facility. Schedule, coordinate, and participate in facility upkeep with other staff.
- Maintain accurate records of exhibitions, events, and programs.
- Provide support materials to staff, board and committees upon request.
Exhibitions and Events:
- Collaborate with staff in coordinating logistics and outreach for all Arts Benicia exhibitions, events, press, marketing, and exhibition graphics. Coordinate signage and provide support for printing and mailing.
- Manage exhibition logistics including exhibition research, outreach/correspondence to artists; oversee intake and outtake of artwork, inventory artwork and coordinate with ED and staff for appropriate labeling and didactic material.
- Design exhibitions with ED, guest curators, and jurors. Oversee and/or install exhibition artwork and set lights.
- Provide support to guest speakers and facilitate events associated with exhibitions.
- Liaise and meet with appropriate committees to set annual exhibition calendar and ensure that on and off-site exhibitions are of the highest quality.
- Protect, maintain, and store artwork as necessary. Organize shipping as needed.
- Plan, provide support to committees, and manage large organizational events such as Open Studios, the Art Auction Fundraiser, and the associated exhibition previews.
- Organize and provide support for collaborations between Arts Benicia and local cultural organizations.
- Coordinate purchase and storage of needed supplies. Oversee storage and rental of Arts Benicia equipment.
- Develop and organize contracts, certificates of insurance, and required reports associated with exhibitions and events.
- Report and supervise repair of any damage of artwork or facilities.
- Assist in maintaining gallery security through alarm systems and work with Property Management Company as needed.
- Ensure Arts Benicia is in compliance with ADA regulations and Fire Codes.
Volunteers: Recruit, train, schedule and supervise volunteers. Develop job descriptions and positions for Gallery Docent Program, Gallery Reception, Gallery Installation, and Teen Volunteers. Create applications and training materials for all volunteers. Track and report all volunteer and intern hours.
Interns: Recruit, train, schedule, and supervise Interns. Facilitate the development of specific organizational program interests and provide appropriate intern training. Coordinate academic credit when needed.
Collaborate with ED and Development Associate to connect volunteer program with membership, planned giving, and donation efforts.
- Collaborate with staff to create and distribute press releases, calendar listings, social media postings, and PSAs for each exhibition, event, or program.
- Maintain an exhibition and press schedule.
- Provide editorial content and image access to press. Arrange artist interviews.
- Represent Arts Benicia publicly, through email, website and phone, and at events and meetings.
- Provide technical support for website. Maintain and update WordPress website, https://artsbenicia.org.
- Maintain contracts with website host. Update software purchases and security certificates.
- Maintain office equipment: computers and printers. Maintain a good working relationship with office IT support.
- Under the direction of the ED, purchase new equipment as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts, Art History, or other related discipline
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience in exhibition and events management
- Skilled in WordPress, HTML, Google products (e.g. Gmail, Google calendar), Salesforce, and social media platforms
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be team-oriented, and able to work collaboratively
- Highly organized with attention to detail with ability to multitask, set priorities, and complete multiple projects in a timely manner.
Physical requirements: lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds is sometimes required. It is important to have reasonably good color vision to be able to see details as well as the bigger picture. Climbing ladders is often part of the job.
Hours and Compensation:
Regular workdays are Wednesday – Saturday for this position; must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings as required for gallery events and public programs.
Annual salary: $25,000; exempt position with two week paid vacation.
Send cover letter, resume and three references via email to email@example.com no later than December 15, 2017. Interviews to begin immediately.
No phone calls please.
About Arts Benicia
Arts Benicia is a community-based non-profit organization that provides quality exhibitions in its gallery and at other venues in Benicia, engaging public programs, stimulating workshops for adults, and inspiring family and youth art programs. For 30 years, Arts Benicia has been a vital part of the local and regional arts community, furthering and supporting artistic development, and enriching the larger community.
Arts Benicia is an equal opportunity employer