Arts Jobs - DetailDirector of Programming and Education
San Diego Art Institute
San Diego, CA
SAN DIEGO ART INSTITUTE JOB AD
Director of Programming and Education
By February 1, 2018
The San Diego Art Institute (SDAI) is seeking an experienced and creative Director of Programming and Education to design, develop, and oversee three types of programming:
- programs that connect to and expand SDAI’s exhibition audience;
- programs that provide an arts link to K-12 students ; and
- programs that connect to the broad local community.
Founded in 1941 and located in Balboa Park along El Prado, SDAI has evolved into a prominent showcase featuring contemporary art and artists living in Southern California and Baja.
To achieve its mission of advancing regional contemporary art to San Diego residents and visitors, SDAI provides curated exhibitions, artist residencies, and extensive outreach. All our programming is designed to afford insight into the artistic process, foster community partnerships, and encourage appreciation of and respect for the abundant talent that resides in and animates the region.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Programming that’s Exhibition-Related
Identifies, designs, and implements programs that are directly connected to SDAI’s exhibition schedule to stimulate exhibition attendance.
Programming that’s Student-Related
Identifies, designs, and implements curriculum that links SDAI and regional education needs. This includes on- and off-site school programs, classes for young people K-12, teen summer intensives, and school break camps for youth.
Programming that’s Community-Related
Identifies, designs, and implements programs that connect SDAI to the larger and diverse regional community.
Cultivates strategic partnerships with private sector businesses as well as arts and culture, education, and social service organizations and institutions.
Recruits, trains, and supervises teaching artists to implement curriculum in Title I schools, community outreach programs, camps, and teen intensives.
Develops, implements and manages a new docent program to support the exhibition schedule.
Identifies grant opportunities and supports grant application writing and reporting.
Develops and implements evaluation metrics to measure, interpret, and analyze programming outcomes.
- Bachelor's degree with related work experience.
- A minimum of three years’ arts education programming experience, including supervising teaching artists and interns.
- Knowledge of the regional contemporary arts and education environment with direct involvement in curriculum creation.
- Excellent project management skills, including meticulous attention to detail and ability to keep to tight deadlines while covering a wide-range of activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively in written and verbal format, and to build and maintain relationships.
- Excellent computer and social media skills, including proficiency in Mac platforms, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word and Excel, Google apps, FaceBook and Instagram.
- A collaborative and innovative approach.
- Passion, drive, commitment and integrity.
- An interest in and commitment to the mission of SDAI.
Reports to the Executive Director. Works in coordination with all SDAI department directors and managers. Supervises teaching artists, program speakers and presenters, and docents.
This is a full time non-exempt position requiring weekday as well as occasional weekend and evening attendance. Salary is $37,000 to $45,000/year, depending on experience. SDAI offers a full benefits package including PTO and medical insurance.
The San Diego Art Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty the employee is expected to perform. Opportunities for advancement are provided after fulfillment of three-month probationary period.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume and a cover letter addressing how you meet the above qualifications via e-mail to email@example.com by 5 pm PST, February 19, 2018 and include the position title in the subject line. Please note we will contact you only if we would like to schedule an interview. No phone calls please. Thank you for your interest.