Arts Jobs - DetailHouse Manager
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
San Francisco, CA
JOB TITLE: House Manager
REPORTS TO: Audience Services Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt, Union Position (Local B-18 IATSE) Average of 8-24 hours/week
SUPERVISION: Staff Ushers and Volunteers
PAY RATE: $20.31/hr
About the Role
The House Staff team plays a critical public-facing role at Yerba Buena Center for the
Arts. This team interacts with a broad range of people during events, including event
attendees, YBCA staff and collaborators, venue rental clients, artists, visitors, production crew, and more. In addition to making all guests feel welcomed and valued, this
position is accountable for house management of a broad spectrum of events at YBCA, which involves oversight of staff ushers and volunteers during events, collaboration with artists, staff, clients, and caterers, as well as maintaining knowledge of emergency protocols, life safety best practices and ADA and fire code regulations, providing guests with information about current and upcoming programs, and acting as an ambassador for the YBCA brand. The ideal candidate has demonstrated leadership skills, the ability to work well under pressure, keen observation skills, excellent creative problem solving skills, experience with de-escalation, exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, and a sense of humor.
- House Manage a variety of events, including performances, gallery openings, conferences, film screenings, public squares, community gatherings, load-ins, load-outs, and more
- Supervise staff ushers and volunteers during events, while collaborating with frontline teams (gallery guides, visitor services, security, concessions), house managers, production staff, administrative staff, caterers, and clients.
- Act as a brand ambassador for YBCA, maintaining a working knowledge of our Mission, Vision, Brand Platform, Audience Experience expectations, and current and upcoming programs
- Ensure consistent, exceptionally high standards of customer service are always upheld
- Maintain positive and collaborative relationships with YBCA staff, artists, clients, vendors, volunteers, audience members, and visitors
- Maintain working knowledge of ADA requirements, fire code regulations, crowd management practices, emergency evacuation and life safety policies and procedures.
- Attend staff meetings and cross-departmental initiatives, including info sessions about programming and exhibitions.
- Create detailed reports tracking qualitative and quantitative information about events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Audience Services Manager and Director of Events.
- Experience within a live events environment in a front-of-house capacity.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience managing a team of on-call part-time staff and volunteers during live events.
- Strong teamwork orientation; able to work with diverse staff, clients, and patrons
- Able to work gracefully under pressure
- Exceptional problem solving skills; ability to find creative solutions
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Diplomacy, integrity, tact, sense of humor
- Available to work variable schedule, including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Able to work in an environment with sensitive and/or provocative material
- Experience with PC or Mac computer systems, MS Office, and Google Apps
- Able to lift program boxes (about 25 lbs. each), tables, chairs, and easels for event setups
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Experience working in a contemporary arts organization strongly preferred
- Bachelor of Arts degree strongly preferred
Benefits include PTO, Holiday Pay according to Collective Bargaining Agreement, Reciprocal Museum Admission, Commuter Benefit, ability to participate in the 403(b) Retirement Plan and access to SF City Option programs.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your resume and a brief paragraph outlining your interest in working for YBCA in the body of an email to email@example.com. Please include “House Manager” in the subject line of your email.
Please, no phone calls or faxes—really. While we love your enthusiasm, due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA and will be processed accordingly.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
Contact:Julie Mae Lopez
Address: 701 Mission St