Arts Jobs - DetailManager of Special Events
Los Angeles Master Chorale
Los Angeles, CA
Title: Manager of Special Events
Status: Full Time / Regular / Non-Exempt
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Salary: DOE + Benefits
Summary: The Los Angeles Master Chorale, a resident company of The Music Center of Los Angeles, seeks a skilled event planner and fundraiser who is passionate about music to design, plan and evaluate special events. This is a leadership position within the Development department that frequently collaborates with other departments including programming, marketing, PR and production. Events currently include an opening night dinner, an annual gala dinner and various donor cultivation and stewardship events.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, Functions:
- Responsible for generating $650,000 of gross event revenue annually and creating a strategy for long-term growth; develop and monitor event budgets
- Plan, design, and execute Master Chorale events including an opening night dinner benefit, annual gala benefit event, donor salons, receptions, luncheons, and dinners
- Work collaboratively with event planning chairs and volunteers to raise maximum revenues through event ticketing and auction items
- Coordinate with Patina Restaurant Group, The Music Center’s exclusive catering vendor, on catering, rentals, décor and service; accurately and timely remittance of purchase orders for payment of invoices
- Coordinate with external vendors to ensure proper execution of events
- Coordinate event briefings involving Patina and Music Center staff to assure effective communications and establish chain of command for last-minute challenges
- Work with a mailing house to coordinate high volume mailings related to events
- Maintain a master event calendar
- Ability to enlist colleagues in event execution through effective task delegation
- Provide leadership and direction regarding the details of event production, with an emphasis on high standards for customer relations, attention to detail, and etiquette
- Prepare pre- and post-event analysis, assessing opportunities and making recommendations for the future
- Be or become proficient with the Master Chorale’s patron-management system, Tessitura, including list pulling, reporting, gift entering, etc.
- Attend Master Chorale concerts and events as needed to provide support
- We are a small, nimble staff. It is essential that the Manager of Special Events is willing and able to collaborate with colleagues in the Development Department and across the organization as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Creative, results-oriented individual with an entrepreneurial drive to generate new ideas and strategies to help build a special events program that will excite and engage constituents
- Proven, experienced event planner and fundraiser
- Ability to work effectively with board members and volunteers, providing them with strong support and inspiring them to productive action
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for facilitating event agendas, scripts, event letters and notes, etc.
- Ability to think strategically, generate new ideas, set priorities, execute goals and objectives and meet financial goals and deadlines
- High degree of professionalism and integrity
- A passion for the mission and aspirations of the Master Chorale; the ability to eloquently articulate the organization’s mission, values, achievements, potential, and future goals to internal and external audiences.
- A bachelor's degree is required; a graduate degree is preferred. A CFRE is a plus.
A competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and excellent benefits will be provided.
Please submit a cover letter specifying how your experience relates to this position with the LA Master Chorale and a current résumé. Please attach documents in .pdf or .doc format.
Submit application materials at www.lamasterchorale.org/auditions-jobs
The Los Angeles Master Chorale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Los Angeles Master Chorale complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Los Angeles Master Chorale expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of the Los Angeles Master Chorale’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.