Arts Jobs - DetailDirector, Marketing and Communications
Oakland Museum of California
Oakland Museum of California
Req No 2017-1209
Category Marketing and Communications
Type Regular Full-Time
Closing Date ..
Targeted Job Start Date 10/1/2017
The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
- Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
- Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
- Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
- Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
The Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for the strategy and implementation of the Museum's institutional marketing, communications, public relations, branding, signage, visitor experience and group sales strategies. This position leads and implements a comprehensive marketing and communications plan to advance the brand and reputation of the Museum, to expand and engage new and existing audiences, and to generate attendance and earned revenue in support of the Museum's mission and social impact goals. The position is responsible for developing an overall strategy for audience growth and applying rigorous metrics to marketing and sales strategies. The position leads brand and institutional positioning through a broad range of communication channels. This position collaborates with Director and CEO on institutional communication and with other departments regarding content strategy, philanthropy and programming to drive both social impact and revenue and attendance targets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA's definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum's mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, and institutional relevancy for the future
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Marketing and Communications Leadership
- Working in collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer, creates integrated multi-year marketing, communications and sales strategies in alignment with the institutional strategic plan and priorities
- Oversees the creation, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive brand, marketing, communications and public relations program that enhances the Museum's image and position within the marketplace and the general public that increases onsite paid and unpaid repeat attendance, earned revenue streams, contributed giving and campaign awareness and facilitates internal and external communications
- Represents the consumer's voice in content development (such as exhibitions and programs)
- Provides direction in terms of new and existing audience attendance projections and pricing strategy
- Leads strategy and relationships related to public relations activities and materials including publications, media relations, e-commerce, and ad campaigns, press previews and special events
- Manages outside advertising agencies and vendor/partner contracts and relationships
- Establishes best practices for collecting visitor data and works with senior leadership to encourage the Marketing staff and other colleagues to use the data to make informed decisions
- Provides leadership in the evolution of the OMCA website and CRM
- Works with Development department in creation and fulfillment of marketing relationships resulting from corporate sponsorships or foundation grants and in support of the membership program
- Partners with key stakeholders to craft and communicate key internal messages to staff as needed
- Aligns messaging with the Museum's commitment to community engagement, diversity and inclusion, equity and access while supporting the sustainability of the institution
- Oversees regular and relevant market research, including the monitoring of trends and best practices
- Serves as a spokesperson for the organization in the community, the field and media; participates in and presents at professional conferences and civic and community events on behalf of the organization
Management and Administration
- Participates on an institutional Senior Council that helps drive culture and institutional decision making
- Co-leads the Earned Revenue Team with the Director of Business Development
- Directs the day-to-day activities of the Marketing and Communications team including establishing priorities, coaching, and participating in OMCA's performance management program
- Oversees and/or manages departmental and project budgets, ensuring fiscal responsibility while maximizing return on investment and social impact
- Collaborates with key stakeholders in strategy and execution of revenue and communication goals (i.e. Design, Business Development and Philanthropy)
- Utilizes internal and external research, evaluation and metrics to maximize the effectiveness of marketing expenditures and priorities
- Ensures essential information is communicated consistently and in timely manner within department, between Centers, and to key partners
- Supports the work of the Audience Development Committee of the Board of Trustees
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A combination of experience and education that demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge and abilities for this position is required as noted:
- B.A. degree in relevant field required; 7-10 years relevant experience required
- Experience in direct to consumer marketing and institutional communications required including driving ticket sales, public relations, brand and digital strategy
- Prior management of marketing, sales or communications department strongly preferred
- Experience managing a visitor service department preferred
- Experience in strategic communications and marketing planning to build communications that deepen visitor engagement, and will have a depth of experience in successfully leading audience enrichment, expansion and revenue generation initiatives
- Experience overseeing and managing website to drive audience engagement and revenue generation
- Experience developing, managing, tracking comprehensive email campaigns and must understand best practices in digital marketing, social media and influencer marketing
- Significant experience with project management techniques, data management and analysis
- English, fluent in both spoken and written form
- Proficiency in computer systems and software, including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience in a large performing arts or museum a plus
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Noise, such as groups of people working in enclosed areas
- Typical office environment
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
The Oakland Museum of California is a multicultural organization, committed to diversity and practicing equal opportunity employment in recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for open positions.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/jd3gqfd2r5jppz4w