Arts Jobs - DetailManaging Director
Carlsbad Music Festival
Carlsbad Music Festival, a non-profit organization in its 12th season that presents “adventurous music by the beach,” seeks to hire a Managing Director. This is a half-time, year-round position, and a minimum one-year commitment is required. The two major events presented by CMF are: a 3-day Festival in September, and a 1-day Village Music Walk in June.The Managing Director will run the day to day operations of CMF. The MD will report directly to the Founding Artistic and Executive Director, and will oversee the year-round and seasonal Marketing, Production and Development staff. The MD will work closely with CMF’s Board of Directors, and provide updates and reports for the quarterly meetings.
One of the goals of the organization is to strengthen its operations while maintaining its spirit of artistic risk-taking as it enters its second decade. The Managing Director will be integral to this process.The Managing Director must have a deep knowledge of and experience in the variety of types of music programmed at the Fest. The MD must have significant experience managing people and managing a budget. The MD must have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong web and design skills. Development experience highly desired including, individual donor and corporate fundraising, and foundation and government grant writing. Production experience highly desired, especially in the fast-moving, high-pressure environment of a festival. Marketing experience highly desired as the MD will work directly with the Marketing Manager to shape the organization's marketing campaigns. Experience as a professional musician or past close work with musicians is preferred as the organization is a musician-run/musician-friendly organization.
The ideal candidate will be highly ambitious and artistically driven and will seek to grow the organization and its position in an artistically significant and fiscally prudent manner. The Festival is poised for significant growth with the hiring of its first Managing Director, and the ideal candidate will take an entrepreneurial approach to her/his job.
Carlsbad Music Festival
Carlsbad Music Festival is a 501(c)(3) organization that aims to engage and inspire local, national, and international communities of composers, performers, creators, and concert-goers through world-class performances of adventurous music. CMF is committed to premiering new works, programming fresh, compelling music, and providing professional opportunities for established and emerging performers. Founded in 2004 by Matt McBane, CMF strives to enhance Carlsbad, California as a cultural center, engaging diverse audiences and providing wide accessibility by integrating events within community spaces. Now in its eleventh season, CMF has achieved a level of artistic integrity and vision that has been praised as "one of the area’s most innovative music showcases" (KPBS, San Diego's NPR affiliate), “phenomenal” (San Diego Union-Tribune), “a starry array of new music specialists” (Alex Ross, The Rest is Noise) and "magnificently enlightening" (Los Angeles Times). In 2010, CMF won ASCAP's Award for Adventurous Programming.
- working directly with the Festival Director in shaping the direction of the organization
- managing the day-to-day operations of the organization throughout the year
- creating and maintaining work schedules for the entire organization
- supervising the year-round staff (Marketing Manager and Production Manager)
- hiring and managing the seasonal staff
- managing the Festival's finances
- keeping the Festival's books and giving regular reports to the Festival Director
- working with the Festival Director in creating budgets
- working with the Production Manager to ensure successfully executed events
- working with the Marketing Manager to grow the Festival audience and ticket revenue
- working with Development Manager to implement ambitious fundraising campaigns, to build relationships with current and potential donors, and to find new sources of sponsorship and program advertisement
- working with the Grant Writer to ensure grants are written at a high level and in a timely manner, and to research new potential funding sources
- working with the Festival staff to ensure fiscally prudent and artistically significant growth
Send a resume and cover letter by November 14 to:
Matt McBane, Director
Contact:Matt McBane, Director