Arts Jobs - DetailTeaching Artist
San Francisco Children's Art Center
Founded in 1978, the San Francisco Children’s Art Center is a non-profit studio art center whose mission is to nurture the developmental and artistic growth of children through creative expression and self-guided learning. By encouraging experimentation and discovery in a supportive environment, the Art Center is a place filled with possibilities, where children can collaborate, explore, and grow. To reach children beyond the walls of our Fort Mason Center studio, our teaching artists work with children in the community through Preschool for All, funded by First 5 of San Francisco, and through Artist in Schools residencies.
Position Description: The Teaching Artist will be responsible for leading art classes that meet visual arts guidelines in San Francisco preschools.
Schedule/Hours: This is a part-time, temporary position typically during the school year.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop curriculum and lead visual arts classes in San Francisco preschools. Classes are viewed as a partnership between the Art Center and the preschool.
- Train in and implement SFCAC methodology which is inspired by the Reggio Emila Approach.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and periodic professional development workshops.
- Minimum 3-5 years teaching artist experience with children ages 2 to 5
- A demonstrated commitment to and enjoyment of working with young children.
- Ability to learn and implement SFCAC's methodology.
- Ability to work collaboratively with preschool teachers, parents, and colleagues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with adults and children.
- BA in visual arts, art education, and/or early childhood education. Experience working with dual language learners and children with special needs preferred.
- Bilingual English/Cantonese or English/Mandarin preferred.
Hourly rate: $40/hour
Application Procedure: Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.