Arts Jobs - DetailCommunity Engagement Manager
AXIS Dance Company
AXIS Dance Company (AXIS) exists to change the face of dance and disability. Our mission is to create, perform, teach, and support contemporary dance featuring dancers with and without physical disabilities. Under the Artistic Direction of Judith Smith, AXIS has received 7 Isadora Duncan Dance Awards and has been featured on KQED's SPARK and KRCB's One in 5 Stories. AXIS has also appeared twice on FOX TV's, So You Think You Can Dance, exposing the company's genre of dance to millions. Having just celebrated its 25th Anniversary, the company is undergoing an organizational effectiveness evaluation supported by lead funding from The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, and has hired Managing Director, Karl Cronin, to guide the organization in partnership with the board of directors and founding Artistic Director, Judith Smith.
The Community Engagement Manager will ensure the successful implementation of AXIS' earned revenue strategies by managing tour/assembly booking, coordinating tour logistics, project managing outreach events in collaboration with company dancers and Artistic Director, and maintaining relationships with key institutional partners including schools and presenters. Additionally, this individual will build and maintain their existing professional relationships and networks in the Bay Area community, that will lead to the growth of the Organization's earned revenue. The Community Engagement Manager is a key player in guaranteeing the continuity of AXIS' programs, outreach, and growth, and reports to the Managing Director, with a close collaborative relationship with the Artistic Director and Rehearsal Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage annual Outreach plan, ensuring effective strategies to meet earned revenue goals and audience development goals
- Conduct research on viable domestic and international tour prospects
- Manage tour booking tracking system, including updating database with new prospects and leads, maintaining existing records, and producing weekly bookings report to Managing Director
- Make bookings calls and follow-ups (ongoing)
- Brainstorm on funding and block booking strategies with Managing Director
- Support Managing Director in making key leads calls by developing call briefing and taking notes during bookings calls
- Update database with all e-mail and call notes
- Book Dance Access programs, including school assemblies, classroom visits, in-school residencies, University Master Classes, Video Lectures, AXIS Summer Intensive, studio program, showings/presentations and consultancies (corporate, non-profit, benefits, etc).
- Manage booking contracts and coordinate their periodic review with Managing Director
- Coordinate all flight, hotel, and transportation for tours
- Communicate touring/performance information to Rehearsal Director to deliver to performers as a briefing/itinerary
Program Implementation: (Could be for Associate Director)
- Support Managing Director and Office Coordinator in producing Dance Access Day, Summer Intensive, and annual Home Season
- Assist Development Manager in obtaining evaluation data from programming
- Collaborate with Communications Team on annual marketing plan and calendar
- Coordinate work sample editing and posting with Artistic Director, Office Coordinator, and interns
- Coordinate the production of web and print materials related to outreach and touring, including repertory production briefings and tech riders, in collaboration with Managing Director and Office Coordinator
- Coordinate Facebook updates for Outreach content
- Design, administer, tally, and evaluate participant surveys from performance and education events to better serve AXIS' community of supporters, with support from Managing Director and Development Manager
- Prepare and deliver regular program reports to Managing Director
Non Physical Demands/Qualifications:
Success in this position will depend upon the following skills, traits and requirements:
- BA or equivalent experience
- Exemplary phone skills
- 5-7 years administrative experience including demonstrated success in booking, outreach programming, and/or sales
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, organizational, communication skills
- Ability to manage projects and deadlines successfully within ambitious time frames
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively as needed
- Skilled at handling detailed work accurately and quickly
- Possess strong computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database software
- Experience with Salesforce.com a plus
- Self-directed and energetic
- Ability to take direction
- Experience working with people of all ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, ethnicities, and sexualities, and abilities
- Have a valid driver's license and access to a vehicle for running errands and attending events as needed
The responsibilities and tasks associated with this position will require that the Community Engagement Manager regularly remain in a sedentary position for at least 50% of the time. Community Engagement Manager must be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. The ability to constantly use a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a printer, copier, and calculator is necessary. Occasional lifting and/or moving of objects up to 40 pounds may be required. This position will require the ability to travel occasionally, both locally and long distances. Reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable otherwise qualified individuals to perform these functions.
This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change, or be eliminated. Management reserves the right to revise the responsibilities or to require other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
Equal Opportunity Employer
AXIS is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and people with disabilities.
Competitive pro-rated salary, depending on candidate's experience. Benefits include an employer-paid health plan. This is a part-time (estimated at 20 hour/week), exempt position.
Please email your cover letter and resume to Managing Director, Karl Cronin at firstname.lastname@example.org