Arts Jobs - DetailDirector of Education
San Diego History Center
San Diego, CA
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
STATUS: FT, Salary, Exempt
HOURS: M-F 8:30am to 5:00pm; additional hours for job-related functions
The Director of Education is responsible for providing creative and strategic leadership to oversee all aspects of the education program at the San Diego History Center (SDHC), at its primary location in Balboa Park and its secondary location at the Serra Museum in Presidio Park. This position oversees a 7-person department with 3 full-time and 4 part-time staff.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Leads the Education Department in the development, implementation and evaluation of dynamic museum education programs for diverse audiences, at each site operated by SDHC, which fit within and promote the organization’s mission and vision.
- Hires, trains and supervises museum education staff including docents and interns.
- Oversees program content and ensures its educational and curricular connections to the museum’s collections and exhibitions.
- Continuously develops knowledge about San Diego history.
- Develops and oversees departmental budget and monitors expenses.
- Serves as a member of the Senior Management Team to achieve institutional goals and objectives.
- Works closely with exhibition staff on the development of exhibition interactive displays, gallery handouts, exhibition-related educators’ guides and volunteer training.
- Works with the marketing department on program publicity, the development of all printed and online education materials, including brochures, guides, worksheets, and flyers.
- Works with the Volunteer Manager on the training, supervision and retention of Education volunteers and docents.
- Oversees the collection of program statistics for all education-related activities and reports them as required.
- Plays key role in development and fundraising for educational programs, including drafting narratives and program budgets for grant proposals.
- Provides funders of education programs with reports and feedback as required.
- Builds and maintains mutually beneficial relationships with other cultural and community organizations, as well as the local education community.
- Expands the reach of the History Center by cultivating strategic partnerships with the educational, nonprofit community.
- Collaborates on programming that relates to SDHC’s mission, vision, goals and budget.
- Attends History-Social Science Leaders, Balboa Park Educators Council meetings and develops and maintains connections to other museum educators in Balboa Park.
- Speaks at conferences and teacher workshops about educational opportunities, resources, and exhibitions at SDHC.
- Represents SDHC to the public, members, and other stakeholders at community events, exhibition openings and other events.
- Develops and implements program evaluation tools to measure and interpret outcomes, program goals and objectives.
- Attends staff meetings and other internal and external meetings as assigned.
- M.A. in Education, Museum Studies, History, or related field preferred
- Minimum five years’ experience managing, designing and implementing educational programs, preferably in a museum setting
- Proven experience in supervisory, budget and project management.
- Knowledge of contemporary educational methods and philosophies, especially for informal learning environments
- Strong management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong planning, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to see the larger organizational picture
- Strong knowledge and/or interest in San Diego history
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task and remain flexible to accommodate History Center needs.
Standard non-profit salary and benefits.
Cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org