Arts Jobs - DetailDevelopment Manager
San Francisco, CA
Position: Development Manager
Schedule: 40 hours/week (1 FTE), Monday-Friday, occasional evenings and weekends
Status: Salaried, Exempt
Health and Vacation Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience
SOUTHERN EXPOSURE (SoEx) is an artist-centered non-profit organization dedicated to supporting visual artists. Through our extensive and innovative programming, SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate and further educate while providing an extraordinary resource center and forum for Bay Area and national artists and youth in our Mission District space and off-site, in the public realm.
An active presence in the Bay Area for 40 years, SoEx is continually evolving in response to the needs of artists and the community while engaging the public in artists’ work. Central to our mission is to remain the most accessible space for visual artists to produce and present new work, learn, and connect. SoEx provides visual artists and youth with the tools and resources they need to experiment in an open and supportive environment. We also work to advocate to new, diverse audiences and build an ever-growing community of enthusiasts and supporters of the visual arts.
The Development Manager works with staff and board in all the development and administrative aspects of Southern Exposure. This is a critical support role that works in service of a dynamic organization enabling SoEx to realize its mission of supporting visual artists. The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director, and works with the entire staff, the Board of Directors, as well as Fundraising and Auction committees. The position offers an excellent growth opportunity for anyone interested in working in a creative non-profit visual arts/arts administration environment.
- Fundraising Event Management: Annual Art Auction, Monster Drawing Rally and Special Events
Manage and coordinate SoEx’s Annual Art Auction and Monster Drawing Rally. Organize additional fundraising, special and member events. Manage event timelines and budgets, and coordinate event logistics. Manage contracts, communications and logistics with outside vendors for events.
- Auction: Manage the Annual Art Auction Fundraising event. Co-develop and work with the Auction Planning Committee, seek sponsorship and donations from businesses, coordinate art donations, manage partnerships with sponsors and online auction platforms, work with Communications Director to produce invitation and auction catalog, and manage auction intern. Manage the Auction Committee and work with entire staff and Board to realize event.
- Monster Drawing Rally: Collaborate with SoEx Staff and MDR intern to manage this annual event. Contract venue, secure in-kind donations and hospitality, and manage event finances. Support the growing national network of organizations who utilize this event as a model and ensure materials are up to date annually.
- Special Events: Organize and coordinate member and donor events throughout the year and oversee follow up activities and correspondence.
- Development: Membership and Grants:
Membership and Annual Fundraising Oversee the development and transfer of data to SoEx’s new CiviCRM database from the current Filemaker Pro database. Manage timely membership renewals and acknowledgements; coordinate membership benefits and related events. Maintain with meticulous detail the database of donors, corporate and in-kind sponsors, event attendees, art collectors, prospects, and event vendors. Maintain and manage online giving tools and track recurring donations. Oversee development of evolving and new membership materials annually. Sit on SoEx’s Fundraising Committees and work with the Board of Directors to realize board directed initiatives. Work with the ED and Board to strategically develop Southern Exposure's growing Membership Program to help increase the organization’s support base. *Grants: Track grant deadlines and opportunities and support the development of new institutional funders. Assist in preparation of grant proposals, reimbursement reports, final reports, and ensure SoEx’s grant funders are acknowledged and updated on projects regularly.
Manage day-to-day bookkeeping, payables, receivables, deposits, sales boxes, and petty cash. Develop and manage project expense budgets. Knowledge of basic bookkeeping skills and QuickBooks. Support preparation for annual audit. Support ED and bookkeeper on monthly reconciliations and reporting.
- Maintain SoEx’s contracts, insurance policies, and records. Ensure annual, state, and federal filings occur in a timely manner. Maintain equipment leases, contracts and inventory. Provide administrative support as needed.
- Communicate regularly and clearly with staff about development plans. Participate in organizational long-range planning, attend staff meetings, and perform other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- Earned Revenue
- Facilities Rental Program: Develop new materials and process for space rental income program and ensure clear online presence for this program. Develop program overview, contracts, rental schedule, and online inquiry process. Serve as main point of contact for possible rentals, review inquiries, manage rental events and contract support as needed.
- Editions and Earned Income: Work closely with the ED and Board to support the development of new initiatives that support the growth of SoEx’s earned revenue programs. Projects include limited editions, events and strategic partnerships. Coordinate the production and tracking of limited edition artworks and partnerships. Collaborate with the Communications Director to ensure website has up to date information. Manage sales, inventory, and fulfillment process.
- Visible Advocacy
Serve as an advocate of Southern Exposure’s mission and act as a spokesperson to the public. The Development Manager will enhance the reputation, role and recognition of Southern Exposure in the broader community, build and enhance relationships with members, donors and business sponsors by attending and organizing events.
- Assist in day-to-day operations of the organization and all related programs, including installation, gallery maintenance and public events.
The ideal candidate has a minimum three years proven skills in the areas of non-profit fundraising and/or managing events, and at least one-year managerial experience. The applicant is highly organized; detail oriented, with strong communication, organizational, writing, and computer skills. They are calm under pressure, an excellent multi-tasker, are able to track multiple deadlines. Applicant must be able to show personal initiative as well as be able to work collaboratively as a member of a team. Must enjoy working in an informal, creative and fast-paced environment. Skills with Microsoft Office, Macintosh, QuickBooks, Civi CRM and Filemaker Pro preferred, as is experience with project management, budgeting, vendor and volunteer management, and knowledge of contemporary art. The Development and Administration Manager will support the mission of Southern Exposure and maintain its diversity of experiences, cultures, professions, ages, genders and ideas.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email should be: Development Manager, your name.
Posting date: February 3, 2015
DEADLINE to submit application: February 23, 2015
Projected start date: March – April 2015
Southern Exposure is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.