Arts Jobs - DetailGallery Educator
Skirball Cultural Center
Los Angeles, CA
Noah’s Ark Gallery Educator (Full Time)
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a dynamic and inspiring Noah’s Ark Gallery Educator to facilitate school and public programs within Noah’s Ark at the Skirball, an interactive children’s and family destination that explores themes of community, diversity, and building a better world. Noah’s Ark Gallery Educators also facilitate other gallery-based school programs offered by the Skirball.
On a daily basis, Noah’s Ark Gallery Educators facilitate school and family learning through full-body puppetry, movement, percussion, cooperative games, storytelling, and hands-on art-making activities during both morning-school and general-public hours. They also serve as hosts within the gallery, imparting key Noah’s Ark messages, and helping to enforce policies and procedures for all guests in order to maintain a safe, orderly and welcoming environment.
Noah’s Ark Gallery Educators report to the Noah’s Ark Gallery Manager, and work closely with the school and family programs divisions, as part of the Skirball’s Education Department.
The position of Noah’s Ark Gallery Educator is year-round and full-time; the schedule includes weekdays, weekends, and holidays. Noah’s Ark Gallery Educators are required to work one weekend day each week and to be available to work both weekend days as needed. Due to the variable nature of programming and attendance, candidates must have flexibility with respect to weekend day assignments.
- Work cooperatively to ensure successful gallery experiences for school groups and the general public, including facilitated and drop-in experiences, table-based activities, and participatory movement, music, and puppetry.
- Maintain proficiency in all school tour content and facilitation strategies as assigned; team teach experiential, gallery-based programs daily with paid and volunteer educators.
- Convey key Noah’s Ark messages and content through programs and positive visitor interactions.
- Help maintain a friendly and safe environment, proactively address customer service and operational issues, and troubleshoot on the gallery floor as needed.
- Integrate and apply feedback from supervisors to achieve program goals and standards.
- Reset and maintain galleries to ensure optimal condition and an aesthetically pleasing environment, including daily prop cleaning.
- Assist in prepping materials for daily programs, including inventory upkeep.
- Perform related administrative work as assigned.
- Contribute to developing new gallery programs, school tours, drop-in performances, and visitor interactions as requested.
- Co-train and mentor fellow colleagues as assigned.
- Background and experience in arts education and/or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to lead participatory educational experiences for people of all ages.
- Experience working with children and families; interactive gallery teaching experience preferred.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following specialized areas: full-body puppetry, movement, ropes/challenge course elements and team building, percussion, storytelling, and visual arts.
- Team player with a professional, positive attitude, and the ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent oral and listening communication skills.
- Ability to work long hours that require physical agility (kneeling, crouching, lifting, sitting on floor, etc.) and sustained energy.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, highly sensory environment.
- Ability to model positive behavior through words, actions, and attitude in challenging situations.
- Proven ability to exercise good judgment, take initiative, and manage a changing and varied workload.
- Ability to problem solve independently and collaborate with others.
- Ability to receive and respond positively to feedback.
- A keen interest in the Skirball Cultural Center mission and philosophy.
- Knowledge of Jewish culture/traditions a plus.
- Fluency in second language a plus.
Please send resume and cover letter by e-mail to:
Human Resources Department
Re: Noah’s Ark Gallery Educator
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Addressee:Skirball Cultural Center
Address: 2701 N. Sepulveda