Arts Jobs - DetailCommunications and Outreach Director
San Francisco, CA
POSITION AVAILABLE: Communication and Outreach Director
Schedule: 40 hours/week (1 FTE), Monday-Friday, occasional evenings and weekends
Status: Salaried, Exempt
Health and Vacation Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience
SOUTHERN EXPOSURE (SoEx) is an artist-centered non-profit organization dedicated to supporting visual artists. Through our extensive and innovative programming, SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate and further educate while providing an extraordinary resource center and forum for Bay Area and national artists and youth in our Mission District space and off-site, in the public realm.
An active presence in the Bay Area for 40 years, SoEx is continually evolving in response to the needs of artists and the community while engaging the public in artists’ work. Central to our mission is to remain the most accessible space for visual artists to produce and present new work, learn, and connect. SoEx provides visual artists and youth with the tools and resources they need to experiment in an open and supportive environment. We also work to advocate to new, diverse audiences and build an ever-growing community of enthusiasts and supporters of the visual arts.
Position Description: The primary responsibilities of Southern Exposure’s Communications and Outreach Director (C&OD) are to grow and improve the public’s knowledge and understanding of SoEx’s programs and artist-centered mission, to expand the organization’s visibility locally and nationally, and develop and realize methods to communicate with our current audience and build new ones. The Communication and Outreach Director reports to the Executive Director and works with all members of the Southern Exposure staff.
The Communications and Outreach Director (C&OD) manages SoEx communications, marketing and outreach. They oversee and maintain SoEx’s Drupal website, write and program the weekly email newsletter, maintain SoEx’s social media presence, manage press contacts, press releases and the timely posting of event and calendar listings. The C&OD manages the production of poster mailers and postcards, working with designers to develop high quality print materials. The C&OD provides communications support for the Auction and Monster Drawing Rally events and develops support materials for proposals, grants and fundraising packages.
The C&OD manages the internship and volunteer programs. The C&OD creates and implements SoEx’s annual communications plan and budgets and actively participates in organization-wide planning. The C&OD manages SoEx’s ongoing archive project, provides general administrative support as needed, manages specific project interns, orders office supplies and provides support at events and programs. The ideal candidate is detail oriented, has strong communication, editing and writing skills and serves as a key member of the SoEx team.
- Website: Oversee and manage SoEx’s Drupal website. Collaborate with SoEx staff to ensure timely updates with relevant and new information. Maintain relationships with developers and designers to support ongoing development of website’s Archive and Store sections.
- Emails: Write, program and source images for weekly SoEx email announcements via Sendy, maintain various email lists.
- Print Materials: Collaborate with staff to structure, create and edit content for poster mailers. Create annual timelines and for all print projects. Work with designers to create posters and other print materials that reflect SoEx’s sensibility and commitment to creativity. Maintain relationship with mail house and printers. Support creation of in-house postcards, flyers and invitations.
- Editing: Edit and review copy for web, emails, print materials and press releases for consistency, accuracy and adherence to SoEx voice. Pass edits back to writers in a timely manner and effectively communicate ideas and suggestions to staff and writers.
- Press Releases: Gather information from program staff for press releases, edit copy and craft pitches to writers. Schedule and distribute press releases via Sendy, ensure timely posting of calendar listings and online event listings. Update website and press binders with press received.
- Press Contacts: Maintain and expand SoEx’s press list for accuracy and currency. Communicate with news outlets and cultivate relationships with freelance writers to generate coverage of SoEx programming. Respond to requests for information and images, public listings and printed directories
- Social Media: Actively maintain and grow SoEx’s social media presence on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Write creative, frequent and relevant updates.
- Intern Support: Manage the communications and general interns and develop related projects.
- Internship Program: Manage SoEx’s internship program by serving as the point of contact for inquiries and intern applications. Ensure effective placement of interns with staff. Communicate in a timely manner with interested intern candidates, keep website up to date with opportunities and screen potential candidates. Track intern records and archives.
- Volunteers: Recruit volunteers for major SoEx events and collaborate with staff on volunteer needs for programs and related projects. Maintain volunteer email list and update regularly. Effectively thank volunteers and establish outreach and recruitment methods.
Development & Fundraising:
- Fundraising Events: Assist with the annual auction, Monster Drawing Rally and other fundraising events as needed. Support SoEx staff in seeking sponsorship and donations from businesses, supporters and artists, and serve on planning committees. Provide administrative support and work at fundraising events.
- Annual Fund/Membership: Assist with membership events and all communications and outreach in collaboration with Development Manager and other SoEx staff.
- Proposals/Grants: Support grant applications by assembling press and print materials, creating year in review reports and tracking annual activities and statistics. Support the development of materials for fundraising packets, sponsorships and campaigns.
- Collaborate on the ongoing effort to organize and publish SoEx’s 40 plusyear program history online, working with designers, developers and archive interns to make this history accessible to a larger public.
- Provide support for SoEx’s physical archive and ensure it is organized to archiving standards and systems.
Advocacy, Planning, and Support:
- Serve as an advocate of Southern Exposure’s mission and act as a spokesperson to the public and media. The
- Communications and Outreach Director will enhance the reputation, role and recognition of Southern Exposure in the broader community, build and enhance relationships with artists, neighbors, members, donors and business sponsors by attending and organizing events.
- Create and implement annual communication plan and budgets and actively participate in organization wide planning and assessment and retreats.
- Assist in day-to-day operations of the organization and all related programs.
- Special Projects and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Applicants must possess Bachelor’s Degree plus a minimum two to three years proven skills in communications, marketing and/or development. The applicant is highly organized, detail oriented and is able to meet deadlines. The position requires extremely strong communication, writing, editing, organizational and computer skills. Artistic background and contemporary art knowledge encouraged. Applicant must be able to show personal initiative as well as be able to work collaboratively as a member of a team. Must enjoy working in an informal, creative, disruptive and fast-paced environment. Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite preferred, experience with CiviCRM or other database programs, HTML, Drupal or simple email services (SES) a plus. The Communications and Outreach Director will support the mission of Southern Exposure and maintain its diversity of experiences, cultures, professions, ages, genders and ideas.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and three professional references to email@example.com. The subject line of your email should be: Communications and Outreach Director, your name.
Posting date: March 25, 2015
DEADLINE to submit application: April 13, 2015
Projected start date: May to June 2015
Southern Exposure is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.