Arts Jobs - DetailTeaching Artist Assistants for Mission Voices Summer 2015
3030 20th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
t- 415-863-2141/f- 415-863-1841
THREE PART TIME CONTRACT SUMMER TEACHING ARTISTS POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Southern Exposure Seeks three TEACHING ARTIST ASSISTANTS for Mission Voices Summer 2015
SOUTHERN EXPOSURE (SoEx) is an artist-centered non-profit organization that is dedicated to supporting visual artists and youth. SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate and is committed to education through its programming in commissioning artist projects, exhibitions, events and performance as well as arts education programs, collaborations, and grantmaking.
Southern Exposure’s nationally recognized Artists in Education (AIE) program brings together diverse youth, artists, schools and community-based organizations in a dynamic series of innovative programs. AIE offers youth opportunities to learn critical, artistic, vocational, and cultural skills and experiences beyond the traditional school environment. It also offers professional teaching opportunities for local emerging artists to become arts educators, extending their practice into the community. Sparking a dialogue on contemporary artistic practice and sociopolitical issues, AIE demonstrates the role of artists in society and reflects the conceptual thinking from our exhibition programs to provide new means of expression for youth. With the lack of positive, creative outlets for youth, AIE fills a crucial need in the community.
Southern Exposure is seeking three TEACHING ARTIST ASSISTANTS for Mission Voices Summer (MVS). MVS is a four-week intensive summer arts program that gives young people the opportunity to exercise leadership skills and participate in their community by exploring relevant social and personal issues through visual arts. MVS is collaboration between Southern Exposure’s Artist in Education program and community-based youth organizations in San Francisco. The program bridges neighborhoods and cultures by pairing local artists with teens from the Bay Area.
About the Job:
Three Lead Teaching Artists, along with three Teaching Artist Assistants, and Southern Exposure's Artists in Education Program Director will collaborate with and teach approximately 30-45 teenagers(divided into groups of 10-15) this summer to produce projects and an exhibition in Southern Exposure's 20th Street space based on a socially relevant theme. The program will culminate with a final project and exhibition, opening Wednesday, August 5, 2015 from 5-7 PM. The work will be on view to the public from August 5 - August 15, 2015 at Southern Exposure.
- Experience, or interest in developing teaching experience, particularly with teens who have socioeconomic barriers (ESL, foster, at-risk)
- Experience or interest in art curriculum development
- A practicing visual artist
- Experience with installation, site-specific work, social practices, photography, video, and other forms of visual art
- Experience displaying work for public viewing
- Good communication skills
- Experience working collaboratively
- Spanish and/or Chinese language proficiency a plus
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Lead Teaching Artists, Youth Leaders, AIE Program Director, and site staff to design workshops and curriculum for high school students
- Assist in leading classes
- Collaborate with youth leaders on integration of an artistic theme into workshops
- Gather materials and resources for projects
- Assist in preparing project for final exhibition
Teaching Artist Assistants are required to assist the lead teacher in writing a four-week curriculum
including goals and objectives of the lessons, proposed outcomes, skills learned, activities, materials needed,
themes covered, field trips, etc. Projects should have a focus on a specific discipline (painting, sculpture, digital
media, video, photography, etc).
The program runs for 4 weeks (Monday, July 13 - Wednesday, August 5, 2015) Monday hrough Friday for 2 hours a day, 3 - 5 PM. Lead teaching artists will work with teaching artist assistants to teach one youth group of 10-15 students. Additionally, all teachers are required to be available for: 1) program planning and preparation between May and June; 2) project install time and the final exhibition opening on August 5 from 5 - 7 PM; 3) weekly planning sessions 4) Additional post project meeting(s) and evaluation.
Assistant teaching artists are paid $1100 stipend in 2 payments. Teaching Artist Assistants are paid for all class time per week during the program, plus prep time outside of class, pre-workshop and weekly one hour planning meetings, and installation of the student exhibition.
- Pre-program planning meetings: May – June 2015 (usually scheduled for evening times)
- Program start date: July 13, 2015
- Program end date: August 5, 2015
- Exhibition dates: August 5 – August 15, 2015
- Evaluation, Post-Program Wrap-Up: August 10, 2015
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes the
- Cover letter,
- Descriptive list with links corresponding to your work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email should be: Mission Voices Summer TA, your name.
Please submit the following as part of your application:
- A cover letter
- Work samples:
- Up to 15 digital images hosted online (please include a link for viewing to flickr, personal website, or any appropriate image hosting website).
- No more then five minutes of video hosted online (please include a link for viewing to Vimeo, Youtube, your own website, or any applicable video hosting domain).
- Please include a descriptive list explaining each sample and include links. Projects and work developed with youth are encouraged!
Position Posting Date: April 1, 2015
Deadline to submit application: Friday April 24, 2015 by 5 PM sharp.
Projected start date: Mid-May, 2015
Southern Exposure is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Persons with diverse backgrounds and experiences are strongly encouraged to apply.
Addressee:3030 20th Street