Arts Jobs - DetailDirector of Operations
About Berkeley Symphony
Maestro Joana Carneiro and Berkeley Symphony are one of the most daring and creative forces in the orchestral world today. Recipient of numerous awards for adventurous programming, the orchestra has been called "the Bay Area's most adventurous orchestra," (Contra Costa Times) presenting "the most fascinating, innovative and probing concerts in the Bay Area." (Oakland Tribune) Berkeley Symphony is a regional orchestra employing 75+ musicians who perform four subscription programs, new music reading sessions, and extensive music education activities in the public schools each year.
Berkeley Symphony seeks an energetic, organized, and personable Director of Operations with a passion for classical and new music. The Director of Operations oversees concert production, office management, and human resources, as well as assisting in all aspects of this performing arts organization. The ideal candidate will have three to five years of operations and administrative experience, and proven ability in managing detailed scheduling and task tracking.
The Director of Operations’ responsibilities will include:
- Create and manage season production budget.
- Arrange and contract for rehearsal and concert venues.
- Create and monitor orchestra work agreements.
- Produce and oversee guest artists’ contracts and liaise with their management; arrange for travel and local accommodations and assist soloists guest artists as needed. This includes making arrangements for the Music Director.
- Hire and supervise music librarian, stage manager, and recording engineer.
- Arrange and contract instrument rentals as needed.
- Work with Contractor and Librarian in hiring musicians, mailing parts, collecting music.
- Liaise with concert venue staff and crew.
- Purchase and arrange hospitalityfor rehearsals and performances.
- Attend all rehearsals and concerts; troubleshoot as required.
- Prepare and process orchestra payroll.
- Organize and manage auditions.
- Manage office equipment, including lease/purchase and maintenance
- Order office supplies
- Ensure efficient and safe office operations.
- Maintain positive relationships with vendors.
- Assist bookkeeper with daily financial management.
- Perform H. R. department functions, including new hires, terminations, administering benefits, processing staff payroll, and responding to EDD report requests.
- Provide assistance to the Executive Director as needed.
- Provide assistance to the Music Director as needed.
- Serve as recording secretary for Board meetings.
- Assist the Development and Marketing departments as needed, including proofreading public documents such as program books, web files, Marketing materials, press releases, and grant applications and reports.
- Assist the Music Education Program Director, the Directors of Development and Marketing, the Box Office Manager, and the Orchestra Personnel Manager as needed.
- Minimum three years in a similar position
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Knowledge of and interest in classical music
- Experience with orchestra personnel management a plus
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends
- Must provide own transportation and be able to transport production equipment
- Clean DMV driving record