Arts Jobs - DetailExecutive Director
Young Audiences of Northern California
San Francisco, CA
Young Audiences of Northern California, a leading provider of arts experiences for youth, is seeking a passionate and strategic leader as its full-time Executive Director to achieve its mission of providing arts experiences that inspire young people, expand learning, and enliven communities.
About Young Audiences of Northern California
Founded in 1958, Young Audiences of Northern California (YA-NC) is dedicated to bringing arts programs, led by professional teaching artists, to Bay Area youth where they live, learn, and play. In 2014, YA-NC's professional teaching artists served over 22,000 young people with more than 50,000 hours of aesthetically engaging and academically effective arts programs at 58 schools, parks, and community centers.
YA-NC's comprehensive, standards-based programs include a wide variety of services: performances in schools and community centers, in-school artist residencies, artist-led workshops, family arts programs, and teaching artists' continued education. Emphasizing art experiences as a catalyst for self-discovery, YA-NC's programs encourage academic engagement and give children the building blocks to make meaning out of their own experience, to develop valuable life skills, and to connect with others in and beyond their own communities.
YA-NC is an affiliate of the national Young Audiences network, the nation's largest arts education provider. As a network, Young Audiences serves more than 5 million children annually and works with approximately 5,000 professional visual and performing artists.
About the Position
The Executive Director for YA-NC is responsible for leading organizational and programmatic activities that support YA-NC's mission and that promote the organization's growth and success. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director implements policies approved by the Board and oversees YA-NC's administration, including management of staff, finances, and programming. The Executive Director is the primary face of the organization and leads all marketing, sales, communications, and fundraising efforts.
The Executive Director position includes responsibilities in the following areas:
Management and Strategy
Program Delivery and Marketing
- Together with the Board, regularly evaluate the programmatic and financial model of YA-NC while developing and leading a long-range sustainability plan;
- Monitor organizational activity against the strategic plan; lead strategic analysis with Board and staff;
- Lead an efficient and effective organization by managing YA-NC's day-to-day operations, including program sales and delivery, financial management, human resources, and grant/fund monitoring;
- Manage YA-NC employees, including development and program staff and independent contractor teaching artists; conduct hiring, training, and performance evaluation in accordance with YA-NC personnel policies;
- Be a passionate spokesperson for arts education and YA-NC to all relevant constituencies and stakeholders, internally and externally;
- Work with the Board to provide leadership and assist in identifying potential Board members;
- Support the Board with reports, regular communication, and coordination of meetings and activities.
Fundraising and Communications
- Lead staff in the ongoing evaluation and enhancement of YA-NC programs and services to ensure that artistic and educational program content are aligned with YA-NC's mission, as well as with National Core Arts Standards and California State Department of Education Visual and Performing Arts Standards;
- Assess and enhance communications and outreach to expand YA-NC awareness and market reach;
- Increase the number of students served and grow earned revenue through increased program sales;
- Ensure high quality programming by maintaining consistent, thoughtful feedback loops with program recipients, independent contractor teaching artists, and staff;
- Steward current and cultivate new collaborative relationships throughout the arts and education sectors, including relationships with key government and arts education agencies.
- Assess and enhance fundraising strategies to secure a balanced revenue stream and support YA-NC's ongoing financial stability;
- Build new and maintain existing donor relationships: actively prospect, cultivate and steward prospective and existing donors, including individuals, corporations, and foundations;
- Manage all individual, corporate, and foundation proposals, milestones, grant reporting and compliance requirements;
- Mentor and support the Board in identifying, cultivating and meeting with donors and partners.
Experience and Qualifications
A successful candidate will likely have:
- A passion for arts education and the ability to articulate the benefits of YA-NC programs with enthusiasm and clarity;
- Demonstrated ability to create strong case statements with supportive data to illustrate impact and value;
- Demonstrated success in program delivery and program sales within schools;
- Successful track record with prospecting, cultivating, and closing five-figure gifts from individual donors, five-figure corporate partnerships, and six-figure foundation grants;
- Experience in financial management and business decision making, with ability to recognize, address and navigate opportunities and changing environments, and build sustainable financial models;
- Non-profit financial acumen and fluency with non-profit financial statements;
- Familiarity with K-12 education, National Core Arts Standards, and California State Department of Education Visual and Performing Arts Standards;
- Experience with developing and working with a nonprofit board;
- Experience with strategic planning;
- Ability to manage effectively in a resource-constrained environment while nurturing a collegial, highly motivating working environment;
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred.
A successful candidate will likely be:
- Passionate and articulate; able to set forth a vision and execute it;
- Highly motivated, collaborative and transparent; inspires confidence and trust;
- A strong and balanced manager, able to coach, motivate and empower;
- Tenacious, able to respond creatively to challenges;
- Someone with high standards for himself/herself and those around them; able to bring out the best in others; comfortable sharing credit and successes.
How to Apply
Please send an email with the subject line "YA-NC Executive Director" to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls will be accepted or returned.
- A cover letter, detailing interest in and qualifications for the role;
This is a full-time position with salary commensurate with experience.
Young Audiences is an equal opportunity employer and seeks workforce diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical ability. For more information on YA-NC, please visit our website at www.ya-nc.org.