Arts Jobs - Detailarts-X-press Theater Instructor
Santa Ana, CA
The arts-X-press Theater Instructor works with 10-15 middle school students of diverse ability in a classroom setting for two hours a day. The purpose of these workshops is to encourage creative risk-taking and growth in the art form, foster teamwork between students, and teach them theater techniques they may not encounter in a school classroom. All arts-X-press instructors reside on campus for the duration of their 5-day session and take part in excursions and workshops in addition to classroom instruction. This position requires the instructor be both a teacher and a chaperone for the program. More information about the program can be found at www.pacificsymphony.org/arts-x-press.
The instruction in the theater workshop (8 hours total) will culminate in a 7 minute student presentation the last evening of the program. The focus of arts-X-press is on creative process in the arts. The presentation does not have to be a completed “performance.”
- arts-X-press instructors are responsible for creating and directing all workshop activities and/or class time. There is no set curriculum for the workshops. Instructors are encouraged to create their own plan for using class time. Some students in the class will have a great deal of experience in their art form. Some students will have had no formal training at all in the art form. The most effective instructors have created activities where all students could participate, feel involved, and learn about the art form. Teaching improvisation has been a highly successful tactic for instructors at arts-X-press. Each instructor will have at least one counselor helper during the workshop time. This counselor can be used as an assistant and participant in the workshop.
- Live onsite at Vanguard University during program execution (24 hours per day for 5 full days) assisting in all aspects of the program including mentoring and supervising students and counselors and attending excursions and workshops.
- This position requires the instructor be both a teacher and a chaperone for the program.
- All needed classroom supplies will be procured by the instructor within the approved budget. Any supplies purchased with this budget will remain the property of the Pacific Symphony.
- Participate in all activities, workshops, and excursions.
- When needed, enforce safety or rules.
- Live in the dorms with students as a program chaperone.
- Make pre-session phone calls to welcome students.
- Meet busses on first and last days of programs to ensure student safety.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Education: College degree preferred but not required.
- Experience: Teaching experience required.
- Understanding of age-specific learning and emotional needs for middle school students.
- Enthusiastic about working with children, volunteers, and artists and able to manage classroom time or events in a flexible, calm, patient, and forgiving manner.
- Must have strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills. Self-motivation and the ability to set own working hours and manage own time.
- Must be punctual, persistent, a problem solver, timely, creative, and have sustained energy. Able to work long hours with a very busy schedule and still able to lead by example and motivate staff members and program participants.
Responsible for supervising middle school students and high school age counselors. While executing program, responsible for student participant safety at all times.
- This position requires attendance at one full-day training meeting.
- Living onsite during the program is required.
- The program can be physically demanding. There is quite a bit of walking, sometimes up 1-2 miles in a day.
- The daily schedule during the program begins around 7 a.m. and generally concludes around 10:30 p.m.
Salary Range: Negotiated privately at time of interview
Employment Status: Seasonal, Exempt
Department: Education & Community Engagement
Reports to: arts-X-press Managing Director and Program Director
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Please e-mail or mail resume:
- Attention: Alison Levinson
- Subject: arts-X-press Instructor Search
- E-mail: ALevinson@PacificSymphony.org
- Address: 3631 South Harbor Blvd., Suite 100, Santa Ana, CA 92704
For more information about arts-X-press, please check out our website! You can see our video and detailed program descriptions by clicking here: http://www.pacificsymphony.org/arts-X-press
Addressee:arts-X-press Instructor Search
Address: 3631 S. Harbor Blvd., Suite 100, Santa Ana CA 92704