Arts Jobs - DetailCreative Expression Instructor
Santa Ana, CA
The arts-X-press Creative Expression (CE) Instructor works with 15-18 students of diverse abilities and backgrounds in a classroom setting for one hour a day. The purpose of these workshops is to foster understanding and bonding between students as well as reflection on the program experiences throughout the week. Though the main method of expression is creative writing, this position has in the past been successfully filled by those who teach language arts, music, art, theater, and a variety of other disciplines. All arts-X-press instructors reside on campus for the duration of their 5-day session and take part in excursions and workshops in addition to classroom instruction. More information about the program can be found at www.pacificsymphony.org/arts-X-press.
- Daily instruction in the CE workshop (4 hours total) will culminate in a 5 minute student presentation the last evening of the program. The focus of arts-X-press is on creative process in the arts. The presentation does not have to be a completed “performance.”
- The main method of expression in these classes is through creative writing, but other methods of expression through the visual and performing arts are encouraged as well. CE instructors need not be formally trained in creative writing.
- arts-X-press instructors are responsible for creating and directing all activities for their class. There is no set curriculum for the workshops. Instructors are encouraged to create their own plan for using class time. The most effective instructors have created activities where all students could participate, feel involved, and learn about themselves and their classmates.
- Live onsite at Vanguard University during program execution (24 hours per day for 5 full days) assisting in all aspects of the program including mentoring and supervising students and counselors and attending excursions and workshops.
- This position requires the instructor be both a teacher and a chaperone for the program.
- Procure all needed classroom supplies. The CE instructor will be provided with a small budget for supplies. All supplies purchased with this budget money will remain the property of the Pacific Symphony.
- Participate in all activities, workshops, and excursions.
- When needed, enforce safety or rules.
- Live in the dorms with students as a program chaperone.
- Make pre-session phone calls to welcome students.
- Meet busses on first and last days of programs to ensure student safety.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Education: Completed college degree preferred but not required.
- Experience: Teaching experience in a class setting is required.
- Understanding of age-specific learning and emotional needs for middle school students.
- Enthusiastic about working with children, volunteers, and artists and able to manage classroom time or events in a flexible, calm, patient, and forgiving manner.
- Must have strong organizational, detail-management, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Self-motivation and the ability to set own working hours and manage own time.
- Must be punctual, persistent, a problem solver, timely, creative, and have sustained energy. Able to work long hours with a very busy schedule and still able to lead by example and motivate staff members and program participants.
Supervisory Responsibility: Responsible for supervising middle school students and high school age counselors. While executing program responsible for student participant safety at all times.
- This position requires minimal attendance at week-day or weekend training meetings.
- Living onsite during the program is required.
- The program is very physically demanding. There is quite a bit of walking, sometimes up to 2-3 miles in a day, and going up and down hills.
Salary Range: Negotiated privately at time of interview
Employment Status: Seasonal/Temporary, Exempt
Department: Education & Community Engagement
Reports to: Director of Community Arts Participation
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Pacific Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please e-mail or mail cover letter and resume
- Attention: Alison Levinson
- Subject: arts-X-press Instructor Search
- E-mail: ALevinson@PacificSymphony.org or
- Address: 3631 South Harbor Blvd., Suite 100, Santa Ana, CA 92704
For more information about arts-X-press, please check out our website! You can see our video and detailed program descriptions by clicking here: http://www.pacificsymphony.org/arts-X-press
Addressee:arts-X-press Instructor Search
Address: 3631 S. Harbor Blvd., Suite 100, Santa Ana CA 92704