Arts Jobs - DetailBusiness Manager / Cataloguer - Himalayan, Indian and South East Asian Art Department
Bonhams & Butterfields
New York, NY
Bonhams is an international auction house specializing in the appraisal and sale of fine art, fine jewelry, antiques, fine wine, motor cars and all types of collectibles. Our US galleries and salesrooms are located in New York City, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.
We seek a motivated and organized individual to become the third member of a talented and successful team. The ideal candidate would be highly organized and be able to balance the demand for attention-to-detail with the need to meet tight deadlines. While there will be cataloging and client-facing opportunities, the primary focus of this role will be to support the department’s Consultant and Head of Sale through the flawless administration of bi-annual auctions and associated activities. To that end, the candidate would always proactively seek to streamline the department’s work processes, reduce its costs and improve its customer experience and market share. With an excellent command of English and Mandarin, the candidate will generate, revise and proof various mono/bilingual publications and build relationships with Mandarin-speaking clients.
Responsibilities will include:
- Administer bi-annual sales of Himalayan, Indian and Southeast Asian Art, ensuring flawless sale activity and adherence to deadlines.
- Provide complete care of consignor’s contracts, property, settlements, logistics/shipping and inquiries.
- Deliver a superior level of client service, always seeking to improve our clients’ experience.
- Spearhead the movement of inventory to storage locations, photo sets, previews, worldwide offices, buyers and consignors.
- Ensure the timely payment of invoices for third-party services.
- Oversee the set up and breakdown of department’s sale-previews and events.
- Represent the department to, and build relationships with, Mandarin-speaking clients.
- Man department phone and be on-hand to receive any incoming clients at short notice.
- Attend ‘after-hours’ networking events throughout the year, ever-reinforcing the department’s presence in the Tri-State area.
- Under guidance and direction of Head of Sale, brainstorm, engineer and implement client and business development initiatives.
- Support, track, and drive forward collaborative projects with other departments worldwide.
- Under guidance and direction, produce and proof catalog images and marketing materials, create and provide condition reports and basic cataloguing, track and output department’s social media marketing.
- Proofread department’s cataloguing, press releases, proposals and other documents.
- Catalogue as needed.
- Support Specialists with client/regional visits and events.
- --Manage catalog subscriptions lists.
- --Manage office and exhibition supply stock.
- --Streamline work processes, enhance services and maximize profitability.
Qualifications will include:
- Bachelors or Business Degree, preferably with Master’s Degree and/or 2+ years experience in an office environment.
- Fluency in undergraduate-/graduate-level spoken and written English and Mandarin.
- Superior written and oral communication and client service skills.
- Exceptional level of organization and attention to detail.
- Excellent follow-through and problem-resolution skills.
- PC proficient with superior knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word including the use of pivot tables.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop and able to learn new software independently.
- Ability to work under pressure and with multiple deadlines.
- Ability to be self-sufficient as well as team oriented.
This is a full time position with benefits, including paid time off, holiday pay, medical, dental, vision, short & long term disability, life insurance, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, and 401k plan with a company match.
Please send your cover letter, resume salary requirements with reference “Business Manager / Cataloguer - Himalayan, Indian and South East Asian Art " in the subject line to Jobs.firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those cover letters which include salary requirements will be considered.