Arts Jobs - DetailDirector of Development
MACLA/Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino Americana
San Jose, CA
Director of Development - MACLA/Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino America is seeking a dynamic, creative, and experienced executive to lead our fundraising efforts as the Director of Development.
MACLA/Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latino Americana de San Jose, Inc. is an inclusive contemporary arts space grounded in the Chicano/Latino experience that incubates new visual, literary, and performance art in order to engage people in civic dialogue and community transformation.
The Director of Development (DoD) is responsible for the planning and implementation of a comprehensive and strategic fundraising program which will meet and exceed MACLA’s annual goals for contributed income. The Director of Development provides leadership throughout the organization to ensure an “an-all-hands-on-deck” approach to fundraising. S/he cultivates existing and new relationships that are critical to MACLA’s long-term success and stability.
The Director of Development is the primary development liaison to the Executive Director, the executive staff, the Board Chair, the Development Committee, and Capital Campaign Committee members. S/he creates a positive, optimistic, and practical environment which encourages volunteer and staff alike to constructively engage in the fundraising process. The DoD will ensure that effective systems and procedures are in place for all development functions, including: donor cultivation and recognition, fundraising events, direct mail and online solicitations, benefits delivery, reporting requirements, recording and acknowledging contributions, and prospect research and management.
The Director of Development is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts for the organization, and is also responsible for ensuring that staff leadership and volunteers are engaged in the effort as well. S/he will be expected to maintain a personal portfolio of donors, as well as tracking the portfolios of other MACLA staff and Board.
The Director of Development will serve as project manager to lead the implementation of MACLA’s Capital Campaign. In partnership with the DeVos Institute of Arts Management, MACLA has developed a comprehensive Capital Campaign plan. The Director of Development will consult with DeVos Institute of Arts management regularly.
The Director of Development is a full-time exempt position that reports to the Executive Director; assumes a leadership role within the organization as a whole, and will work collectively with other members of the senior staff. The Director of Development will supervise a part-time grants writer/administrator and work with volunteers. The DoD will also serve as a representative for MACLA in the greater cultural, philanthropic, and professional communities.
- Demonstrated experience in creating, implementing and evaluating successful fundraising campaigns for a nonprofit institution with an annual budget of $900,000 or more.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s degree or a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) completed credential preferred.
- Minimum of eight years in fund development or political campaign fundraising with three years in a senior management fund development position.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources.
- Success in having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time.
- Proficiency in fund development databases (preferably Salesforce), wealth identification software (Wealth Engine), email marketing systems (Vertical Response) and Microsoft Office.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Experience building Fund Development infrastructures.
- Extensive knowledge of Silicon Valley’s philanthropic landscape.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Success in securing major gifts and event sponsorships.
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to write and speak compellingly and persuasively about MACLA.
- Strong organizational, project, and time management skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- Attend evening and weekend events.
- Deep passion and commitment to advancing Latino arts and culture.
- Bilingual (English – Spanish preferred).
- Valid California driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. at a minimum
This exempt position is commensurate with experience and qualifications. MACLA also offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, paid holidays, vacation and sick time.
If interested, please submit the following application materials:
Submit a cover letter (specifically state how your skills and interests relate to the position), résumé, writing sample and salary history.
Subject Line: MACLA Director of Development position
Notes: This position will remain open until filled.
Due to the high volume of interest, regrettably, we cannot respond to individual applicants. If you are selected as a potential candidate, MACLA will contact you to schedule an interview.
No phone calls, please.
Learn about us at: www.maclaarte.org