Arts Jobs - DetailMusic History Instructor
San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory
JOB TITLE: History Instructor
REPORTS TO: Artistic Administrator
STATUS: Part time, Non-exempt
The History Instructor is responsible and accountable to the Artistic Administrator for promoting high artistic standards for the Music Institute.
The Music Institute combines university-level courses with exclusive learning opportunities with international touring artists, solo, chamber music and leading music industry professionals. Students enrolled in the Music Institute will receive professional level training as they prepare to pursue college music degrees and professions in music. Limited to 15 new students per year and a total of 60 students over a 4 year curriculum, the LJMS/SDYS Music Institute will rival the standards of music education offered to high school students at major centers of musical learning across the nation.
The History Instructor may be required to fulfill some or all of the following responsibilities:
Artistic and Administrative Responsibilities
- Work with Artistic Administrator to outline annual history and music appreciation objectives
- Work with Artistic Administrator to design history and music appreciation curriculum to achieve annual objectives
- Design history and music appreciation assessment exams to evaluate students’ knowledge, music recognition, and writing abilities
- Design lesson plans to fulfill annual objectives
- Design supplemental lessons, readings, and listening exercises for students with gaps of history fundamentals and music appreciation
- Teach history and music appreciation classes according to Institute season calendar
- Foster students’ music education and artistic standards by mentoring, informing, educating, encouraging, and inspiring Institute students
- Play a proactive role in fostering the development of students’ understanding and appreciation of music history and appreciation, and its application in students’ overall music education
- Serve as a representative of the Music Institute as a music educator in promoting institutional vision, educational goals, and artistic standards to the San Diego community
- Provide periodic assessments of student ability and progress
- Maintain accurate student attendance records
- Grade assignments and returning them promptly at the following class
- Design, administer, and grade exams according to the annual curriculum
- Maintain clear communication with students and families regarding class schedules, expectations, and student progress
- Maintain clear communication with Artistic Administrator
- Notify all administrative, attendance, behavioral, academic, and artistic concerns to the Artistic Administrator
- Attend staff meetings as necessary
This position will require availability on Saturday mornings from 10:00-11:00am, from October 2015 through May 2016.
Other duties as assigned by the Artistic Administrator.
Position is open until filled. If interested, please send a resume and cover letter to Dr. Sidney Yin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Contact:Dr. Sidney Yin
Addressee:1650 El Prado #207A
Address: San Diego, CA