Arts Jobs - DetailMarketing Director
Oakland Symphony seeks an enthusiastic and experienced professional to lead the Symphony’s marketing efforts. Since the 2010 merger between the prior Oakland East Bay Symphony, Oakland Youth Orchestra, and Oakland Symphony Chorus, and the subsequent hiring of Executive Director, Steven Payne in 2013, the rebranded Oakland Symphony has been embarking on a concerted effort to reach a broader audience. A recent thorough market research study (part of the “Building Audiences for Sustainability” grant from The Wallace Foundation) is giving the Symphony the funds to delve into new projects and create new opportunities that are specifically aimed at the millennial and Gen-X demographic. The Marketing Director will play a critical role in shaping and positioning this new activity.
Job title: Marketing Director
Area of focus:
The Marketing Director is a senior staff member who oversees external communications for the organization and is responsible for all ticket revenue. S/he develops and implements subscription and single ticket campaigns, manages advertising and media sponsorships; oversees public relations and telemarketing; and supervises box office functions. Working closely with the senior management team and public relations consultant, the Marketing Director implements strategies that result in subscriber satisfaction and retention, expanded audiences and increased public awareness. The Marketing Director will also work closely with the Development Director to create meaningful patron experiences across the Symphony family.
Reports to Executive Director as part of senior staff team (along with Development Director and General Manager). Supervises Box Office Manager & Marketing Assistant.
Job type: Full-time, Exempt
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the Executive Director and General Manager, set ticket revenue goals for the year which are aligned with budget, programming and strategic plan.
- Oversee brand identity and ensure that messaging is consistent and cohesive.
- Conduct market research and audience surveys as needed.
- Prepare marketing reports and analyses for board and committee meetings.
- Develop new strategies for ticket sales to both the traditional classical Series and other experimental concerts.
Subscription Campaigns (Classical Series)
- Develop and pursue strategies for subscriber retention, upgrade and acquisition.
- Create and manage subscription renewal and acquisition campaigns: direct mail pieces, database segmentation, list selection, tracking results.
- Organize and oversee volunteer Phonathons and paid telemarketing campaign.
Single Ticket Sales
- Develop and pursue strategies for increased single ticket sales across all concert offerings.
- Create and manage ticket discounts and other incentives.
- Oversee group sales contractor.
- Create and implement advertising plan for season: write copy, supervise creation of artwork, oversee placement of ads.
- Negotiate and manage in-kind media sponsorships.
Email Marketing/Website/Social Media
- Develop strategy for all electronic communication campaigns for the organization for the season. Create the campaigns related to ticket sales and other marketing activities.
- Oversee website content and design.
- Develop plan for effective use of social media; work with appropriate staff and volunteers to create content that engages a growing audience.
- Supervise Box Office manager in set up of all ticketing on PatronManager system.
- Oversee comp seating for concerts.
- Oversee Symphony ticket table night of concerts.
- With public relations consultant, develop strategies for enhanced media exposure through an annual public relations plan.
- Oversee work of public relations consultant in writing press releases, pitching stories, arranging interviews, responding to inquiries.
- Organize and supervise most photo shoots.
- Oversee production of all publications to ensure consistent institutional branding.
- Provide marketing guidance and support to other departments as needed.
The successful candidate shall have a bachelor’s degree and at least five years of marketing experience. This position requires the following qualities: commitment to an extremely high level of customer service; ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively; excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills; attention to detail; skills in analyzing data and using marketing tools and analytics; ability to work effectively with designers, photographers, and media; experience with an integrated CRM database system. Experience with Salesforce and of working in the performing arts field with some knowledge of music is a plus. Occasional work on evenings and weekends expected.
Full-time exempt position. Salary range: $56,000 - $70,000 depending on experience. All benefits outlined in the 2014 Personnel Manual apply.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume (or link to comprehensive LinkedIn profile) along with any salary expectations and list of references.
Contact:Steven Payne, Executive Director
Address: Suite 405