Arts Jobs - DetailDevelopment Events & Travel Manager
Museum of Contemporary Art
Los Angeles, CA
The Development Events and Travel Manager manages all operational and logistical aspects of on-site Museum special events including Members’ openings, Leadership Circle events, the annual gala, and all other fundraising events. Coordinates with other Museum personnel and outside contractors on all creative and logistical arrangements. Working in close collaboration with the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Individual Giving, and MOCA’s curators, the Development Events and Travel Manager will plan, organize, and implement annual trips for MOCA donors entitled to travel benefits. Responsible for overseeing and growing the MOCA Travel Program.
- Minimum five years professional experience in special event management and planning, preferably in a non-profit organization
- Outstanding organizational skills to effectively manage multiple projects
- Excellent communication, presentation, customer service, and interpersonal skills; must be adept in problem anticipation, resolution, and negotiation
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Possession of a valid California driver's license and good driving record
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, arts administration, marketing, or related field preferred
- Manage the planning of events with all appropriate Museum departments and inform surrounding businesses and government agencies of Museum activities which may have an impact outside the facilities.
- Create and manage all special event budgets and track event-related invoices. When special event budgets are determined by the Museum’s Development Department, interface with Development to reallocate expenses within a budget, when necessary, to cover various components of the event.
- Hire and supervise outside vendors, including caterers, rental companies, florists, and entertainment.
- Working in concert with Development and an outside production company, collaborate on the planning, production, and management of MOCA’s annual gala.
- Negotiate contracts and act as liaison between MOCA and outside special events contractors. Ensure that budgets are not exceeded and that all outside agents adhere to proper management of the Museum’s premises and comply with contract requirements.
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations, Associate Director of Security and Maintenance, Manager of Visitor Services, and other staff as appropriate to implement ongoing "public relations" programs to ensure maximum accessibility and patron amenities. This includes cooperation in all public signage projects at the museum’s three facilities.
- Interface with all agencies that have jurisdiction to ensure that special events comply with city regulations. Agencies include but are not limited to the Los Angeles Department of Transportation, Fire Marshall, Special Events, Fire Department, Police Department, and the Ninth District Council Office.
- Act as direct liaison between downtown cultural venues, businesses, and residences that may be impacted by a museum event.
- Identify and work closely with vendors, consider competitive pricing, and organize the marketing and participant details.
- Set plan(s) for long-term travel opportunities and initiates internal planning and meetings to communicate progress along the way to supervisors and curatorial collaborators.
- Understands perspectives of MOCA donors, volunteers, curators and others to develop successful travel arrangements so as to strengthen donor relationships with MOCA and increase their contributed support over time.
- Prepares thoughtful and detailed trip itineraries, budgets, reports and agendas for internal travel-program planning.
- Coordinates all post-travel follow-up.
- Creates and manages annual travel program budget.
- Plans for and produces marketing plans and promotions for the program.
- Collaborates with Individual Giving colleagues in increasing support from program participants.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Addressee:250 S. Grand Ave.
Address: Los Angeles, CA 90012