Arts Jobs - DetailHead Preparator
David Kordansky Gallery
Los Angeles, CA
David Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles, CA is seeking a full-time HEAD PREPARATOR
We are seeking a highly motivated, well organized, and team-oriented person who wants to be part of a rapidly growing, internationally renowned contemporary art gallery in Los Angeles, CA. The Head Preparator position will be scheduled 5 days a week, Monday to Friday, but the applicant must be flexible and available outside of the designated days on an as needed basis. This is a managerial position, and the applicant is required to have extensive prior experience working as a preparator at either a contemporary art gallery or museum.
- Scheduling, training, and managing a preparatorial team in the following duties:
- Installation, maintenance, and de-installation of artworks for exhibitions, art fair presentations, photo shoots, and private viewings
- Proper packing of artworks for storage and outgoing shipments
- Proper unpacking of artworks for condition reporting and installation
- Receipt and release of artworks
- Local collection and delivery of artworks
- Proper construction of models for exhibitions and art fair presentations
- Storage maintenance
- Facilities maintenance, including, but not limited, to patching, painting, and general clean-up
- Scheduling and oversight of general contractors, painters, electricians, and other independent contractors on an as needed basis
- Preparation of installation instructions and diagrams.
- Acquisition, maintenance, and organization of all preparatorial supplies (for use at the gallery, off-site storage, and art fair presentations)
- Extensive prior experience working as a preparator for a contemporary art gallery or museum
- Knowledge of (and ability to) accurately install, maintain, and de-install artworks of a variety of mediums, including, but not limited to sculpture, painting, works on paper, photographs, video, ceramics, etc.
- Prior experience installing and de-installing at art fairs preferred
- Experience with Photoshop and other graphic and technical software preferred
- High attention to detail
- Able to efficiently lead and manage a team of preparators
- Able to work independently
- Capable of working successfully in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Superior crisis management skills
- Excellent communication and written skills
Salary based on qualifications and experience. Please email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Head Preparator” to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Address: 5130 W. Edgewood Pl., Los Angeles, CA 90019