Arts Jobs - DetailSpecial Events Coordinator
Oakland Symphony seeks an enthusiastic, creative individual to help design and implement meaningful experiences for Symphony patrons. Oakland Symphony has been embarking on a concerted effort to connect more deeply and build better relationships with our entire Symphony family. The person in this position will help create opportunities for members of the Symphony staff and Board of Directors to cultivate, steward, and solicit while providing the detail-oriented support that makes every event a night to remember.
Job title: Special Events Coordinator
Area of focus:
The Special Events Coordinator is a valuable member of the development team, coordinating and creating elements for all Oakland Symphony events, from small donor events to large fundraisers. These events provide critical opportunities for relationship building with members of the Symphony community, both giving thanks for their commitment and connecting them more deeply to the organization and cause. The Symphony's Development Team produces approximately 16 events annually.
Reports to Development Director as part of development team (along with Annual Fund and Institutional Giving Manager, and Database and Development Administrator).
Job type: Part-time, Non-exempt
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Development Team to design meaningful experiences for Symphony patrons
- Implement all special events within budget
- Coordinate all contracted services, including venues, catering, and graphic design
- Apply for and secure all necessary permits (City Special Events, ABC, food service, etc.)
- Manage content and update event pages on the Symphony website
- Work with Marketing Team to create social media content and conversations around events
- Design invitations for smaller events
- Serve as Development Team event contact and manage all questions and RSVPs from patrons
- Assist with preparing budgets and provide periodic progress reports to staff for each event
- Present new ideas and improve upon the event management process
Signature Events - Oakland Symphony Ball and Night Out
In addition to all general special events duties, these two events require:
- Attend and coordinate the agenda for all event committee meetings
- Design opportunities to encourage increased revenue
- Manage data entry for auction items and attendees in Greater Giving, the Symphony's event management database
Special Project - Summer 2016
- Coordinate and implement, with the Symphony Team and other volunteers, the 2016 Association of California Symphony Orchestras Conference, August 4-6, 2016 in Oakland
- Attend all meetings of the Symphony Team for the conference
- Attend the entire conference to coordinate, implement, and support
- Serve as Symphony Team contact for Oakland Marriott City Center and conference speakers, and other leaders and attendees
- Work with Database and Development Administrator to create volunteer job descriptions and recruit volunteers
- Attend all meetings of the Events Team of the Board of Directors, which oversees the events strategy throughout the season
- Attend and support all special events
- Write articles for the Symphony’s eNewsletter, ellegro, about events when needed
- Night and weekend work required
- Other projects and tasks as assigned
Qualified candidates for this position will have at least 1-2 years of event experience, with preference for nonprofit events. S/he will be detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to take initiative and follow through with both independent and team projects. Additionally, s/he will have fantastic customer service ethic and high expectations for quality. Strong writing and communication skills are a must. Experience with an integrated CRM database system a plus. Occasional work on evenings and weekends expected.
Part-time, non-exempt position with approximately 15 hours per week (some weeks will have more and others fewer).
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, along with any salary expectations and list of references to: Leslie Fay Marks, Development Director, at email@example.com.
Contact:Leslie Fay Marks
Addressee:Leslie Fay Marks, Development Director
Address: 1440 Broadway, Suite 405, Oakland, CA 94612