Arts Jobs - DetailCreatequity Editorial Team Positions
New York, NY
Createquity is looking for a few sharp thinkers with the time, energy, and smarts to join our editorial team. A year after our re-launch, we have expanded capacity, new partnerships in the works, and feature articles that draw record numbers of visitors to the site. We are excited about where our work is heading, and we’re ready to invite some new folks to join us on the journey.
You’ll become a paid member of the Createquity brain trust, taking part in all of our research discussions, debates, and major decisions. We’re looking for candidates who are passionate about our core mission to make the arts ecosystem work better for artists and audiences, and who can dive in with our committed, thoughtful team on a range of projects.
We are currently recruiting candidates to fill research, graphic design, and project facilitator needs. To be included in our current call, applications must be received by September 21, 2015.
- Research. You’ll work behind the scenes on Createquity’s core research process to help shape our inquiries about what drives a healthy arts ecosystem. Createquity researchers are outstanding critical thinkers, ask challenging questions, and read and reflect on literature that advances our knowledge about things that matter.
- Graphic Design. Createquity’s visual style is key to our success. We’re seeking someone with graphic design and (preferably) web development skills to help us enhance our online presence and create compelling images that illustrate our findings.
- Facilitator. We are seeking an exceptionally organized, detail- obsessed project facilitator to keep Createquity’s trains running on time. This role will put you at the center of everything, helping us advance our mission by managing schedules and deadlines, documenting team meetings, and matching available resources to tasks at hand. This is a significant leadership development opportunity for the right person.
This is a rare opportunity to be part of an ambitious, long-term effort to improve outcomes for everyone involved in or affected by the arts. Benefits of participation include:
- The intellectual challenge of identifying and tackling the thorniest questions facing the sector today
- The opportunity to collaborate with an extraordinarily capable, collegial team from across the United States and beyond
- The satisfaction of participating in an active community of changemakers and knowing that your efforts have genuine potential for impact
- Access to an international audience of arts sector leaders and influencers
How it works
Our standard recruitment process has three phases. The first step involves submitting an application (details below) that will help us determine whether your skills and interests align with our current needs. From there, a small number of finalists will receive an assignment designed to simulate a typical week as a Createquity editorial team member. Once that hurdle is passed, new editorial recruits will join the team provisionally for an approximately three-month trial or “dating period” that gives both you and us an opportunity to find out if we work well together. During these months, you will collaborate with the rest of the Createquity team in a range of areas. If all goes well, you’ll officially join the team in winter 2016 and we’ll publicly announce your participation then.
What to expect
The three-month “dating period” is intended to prepare you to become a productive and valued member of the Createquity editorial team. On average, you’ll contribute approximately three to five hours per week to responsibilities that may include literature reviews, workplan development, or generating infographics, depending on your role. We will aim to assign you projects that are most in line with your interests and skills, and there will be opportunities to rotate projects either during the trial or beyond. You will collaborate with other editorial team members on most projects and participate in both full team and committee-based conference calls.
We are a virtual organization with team members in multiple timezones, so you must be comfortable working remotely. Currently, we offer an honorarium in recognition of your time, with potential for growth in the future.
Who we’re looking for
Being a part of Createquity is incredibly rewarding, but can involve hard work, difficult decisions, and occasional controversy; we don’t expect it to be right for everyone! We are looking for people who bring all of the following qualities to the table:
- An entrepreneurial, proactive attitude and willingness to take ownership of projects;
- Collegiality, strong communication skills, open-mindedness, and willingness to be challenged;
- Familiarity with a wide array of arts disciplines and types of organizations;
- Commitment to improving the arts ecosystem through research-backed solutions;
- A penchant for asking and answering big questions, and analyzing ideas at a high level;
- Reliability and high work standards;
- Curiosity and interest in finding connections between the arts and other fields.
How to apply
The first round application, which includes more detail on available roles, is available here. You’ll be asked to indicate your areas of interest and answer some questions about yourself. After a short review period (about 1-2 weeks), a Createquity editorial team member will contact you about next steps. Good luck!