Arts Jobs - DetailResearch Assistant for Latin American Art
Museum of Contemporary Art
Los Angeles, CA
MOCA is hiring for a Research Assistant for Latin American Art. Please note that this is a long term temporary position that will commence in October 2015 and will conclude in September 2017. Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Research Assistant for Latin American Art
The Research Assistant is responsible for the research and coordination of a retrospective survey of a major Brazilian artist, a small exhibition of a Los Angeles-based Chicano artist, and possible coordination of a site-specific project by an Argentinian artist. All three exhibitions will be part of the Getty Foundation’s Pacific Standard Time initiative LA/LA. Under the supervision of the exhibition curator, duties include conducting research on artists, objects, exhibitions, and other related subjects; organizing and maintaining research files; assisting with multiple aspects of exhibition organization including communication with artists, lenders, and galleries throughout Latin America, Europe and the United States; database entry; correspondence; and providing administrative support related to the exhibition including drafting label and didactic content, obtaining images for research and catalogue use and necessary permissions, serving as the department’s liaison to registration, installation, education and other internal departments, in connection with the planning and implementation of the exhibition.
Fully bilingual in English and Portuguese and/or Spanish (written and oral) with a strong preference afforded for a candidate who possesses all three languages. M.A. in art history or related subject, and knowledge of Latin American art. A minimum of two years of administrative support experience. Ability to use Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe Photoshop. Knowledge of The Museum System (TMS) database preferred. Must possess excellent interpersonal, writing, organizational, and office skills.
- Perform research, compile information on artists, and art works using MOCA's library and local and specialized libraries. Some travel may be required. The Research Assistant may be asked to incur expenses for parking, transportation, photocopying and other research needs that will be reimbursed by MOCA.
- Compile catalogue back matter including general bibliography and exhibition chronology, artists' bibliographies, and other information as required.
- Assist with preparations for advisory committee meetings and related travel arrangements.
- Assist with locating potential loans and images, scan images into TMS database, obtain lender contact information for objects and copyright information for images.
- Enter and update exhibition object information into TMS database; generate checklists, lender lists, mailing lists, and other reports as required.
- Generate loan forms and loan request letters from the exhibition curator, prepare loan form packets, conduct loan request follow up as necessary, and process approved loans.
- Compile and communicate special installation requirements and photography restrictions as conveyed by lenders.
- Work with Development and Communications departments on image and information requests.
Addressee:250 S. Grand Ave.
Address: Los Angeles, CA 90012