Arts Jobs - DetailDirector of Recreation & Community Services
City of Vista
The City of Vista invites qualified applicants to apply for the position of:
DIRECTOR OF RECREATION & COMMUNITY SERVICES
Vista is seeking an experienced and dynamic leader to oversee its Recreation and Community Services Department. The Department oversees many functions including:
- Moonlight Stage Productions
- Moonlight Stage Productions produces an award-winning summer season of musicals under the stars at the Moonlight Amphitheatre drawing over 58,000 patrons a year. Moonlight Presents was created in the fall of 2014 to expand the entertainment offerings of the Moonlight Amphitheatre. This new brand will offer exciting performing arts programming starting in January 2016.
- VisTix Ticket Office
- The VisTix Ticket Office serves as the ticketing agent for all Moonlight Stage Productions shows, including events produced by other groups and held at the Moonlight Amphitheater or the Avo Playhouse in historic downtown Vista, as well as various other community events.
- Rancho Buena Vista Adobe
- This beautiful Rancho is a fully furnished historic adobe and is available for individual and group tours. The gorgeous courtyard is available for weddings and other special events. The Adobe Gallery showcases art from around the country and special momentos are available in the gift shop. The Rancho hosts over 8,500 Southern California schoolchildren participating in its Adobe Days program.
- Vista also has many beautiful parks and unique facilities to enjoy. Most of these are available for rental for birthday parties, weddings and other special events. In 2014, staff facilitated nearly 500 park and facility rentals, serving over 40,500 people.
- Public Art
- Vista has a variety of artwork on display in public areas for viewing, including the downtown Kites Over Vista exhibits. You can enjoy a walking tour of art in downtown Vista.
- Recreation oversees the Day Camp Program, Youth and Adult Sports, Facility and Wedding Rentals, and Park Directors. Annual enrollment in Summer Day camp includes 1,105 participants and 330 in the City's Early Childhood Development classes. Nearly 1,400 community members take advantage of Recreation's youth and adult sports programs and recreation classes; while another 5,000 youth in local youth leagues are served with field space.
- Senior Services
- Senior Services includes the Out & About Program, Culture Caravan, Senior Meals, and Senior Center Programming. On an annual basis, these programs provide transportation services to 5,400 homebound seniors, 20,582 meals onsite to seniors and another 13,226 meals delivered to homebound senior residents. Senior Services also mobilizes 17,000 donated volunteer hours for a variety of services and organizes 58 Culture Caravan trips for 1,761 seniors.
- The Wave Waterpark
- This one of kind, family aquatic center operates as a seasonal waterpark and provides aquatic programming such as swim lessons and camps. With a variety of attractions such as four water slides, a flow rider and lazy river, a splash structure and a competition pool, this program draws well over 130,000 users annually.
- In addition, the Recreation & Community Services Department oversees the following four city commissions:
- Parks and Recreation Commission
- Senior Citizens' Affairs Commission
- Youth Advisory Commission
- Public Arts Commission
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in recreation administration, public administration or a closely related field; and at least five years of progressively responsible public sector management experience related to recreation and community services programs. A Master's degree is desirable.
Successful candidates will demonstrate:
- Strong leadership and communication skills to build partnerships and collaborations within the community.
- The ability to facilitate teamwork, and collaborative efforts with both staff and the community.
- The ability to prioritize, handle competing demands, and meet deadlines.
- Experience in budget, financial planning, and resource development.
- Effective skills in monitoring programs to measure effective outcomes.
- Knowledge and skills in the principles and practices of public administration, recreational program management, and personnel management.
- Political sensitivity and astuteness.
- A customer service mentality and excellent interpersonal skills, including being personable and approachable.
- A proven track record in Recreation and Community Services.
Interested candidates can apply for this position and obtain additional information at www.cityofvista.com by October 22, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. Please be sure to include five work-related references with your application.Questions and inquiries may be directed to Dolores Gascon, Human Resources Manager at 760.639.6145.
The City of Vista values diversity at all levels and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.