Arts Jobs - DetailMuseum Store Assistant (Part Time)
Asian Art Museum
San Francisco, CA
Regular Part Time Position: 24 hours/week (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday)
The Asian Art Museum is seeking an outgoing, flexible, reliable, and “people-oriented” individual with retail and customer service experience to assist with the operations of a dynamic museum store. This person should be able to think outside of the box and be able to take initiative. The 1700 square-foot store, offering a unique array of Asian and Asian-inspired merchandise, is a major visitor amenity at the spectacular museum facility.
The Museum Store Assistant will be assigned to perform a variety of duties including greeting and assisting customers, handling sales transactions, maintaining the store appearance, and assisting with stocking, inventory, preparing merchandise, and other projects relating to the running of the store.
The Assistant is expected to provide consistent exceptional customer service and to build sales through proactive, positive interaction with the customers.
- The nature of the work requires standing for long periods of time
- Dress code is required
- Evening and weekend hours will be required
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Greets and assists store customers; maintains a consistently high level of customer service; answers visitor questions and provides information including general knowledge of store as well as museum exhibitions, policies, and programs.
- Handles customer sales transactions using computerized cash register; processes customer returns, complaints, and check approvals; counts drawer and cashes out registers.
- Assists the Visual Merchandiser, Sales Floor Supervisor, and Assistant Manager of Retail Operations in maintaining store appearance, displays, and cleanliness; assists with the daily maintenance and re-stocking of the sales floor, including merchandise and store supplies.
- Completes periodic manual counts of merchandise on the sales floor and in the stock room and makes recommendations for reorders; communicates problems and suggestions including inventory needs to Sales Floor Supervisor and Assistant Manager of Retail Operations.
- Assists Sales Floor Supervisor and Assistant Manager of Retail Operations in coaching and orientation of museum store volunteers as requested.
- Maintains strong working knowledge of merchandise, including merchandise location and pertinent background information; assists Museum Store Stockroom Coordinator with receiving merchandise including verifying counts, pricing merchandise, and preparing merchandise for the sales floor.
- Twenty-four (24) hours per week (To be scheduled). Typical shifts will be between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Some shifts may include evening hours (until 9:30 p.m.) based on museum schedule and operating needs.
- Minimum one (1) year retail sales, cashiering, and customer service experience
- Knowledge of and experience with computerized cash registers; experience with RetailPro®8 a plus
- Strong aptitude for numbers; cash handling and reconciliation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Honest, flexible, dependable, and conscientious
- Accurate and detail-oriented
- Ability to work effectively and quickly in an extremely busy retail environment
- Ability to: deal with museum staff, volunteers, and the general public in a courteous, helpful, and efficient manner; problem-solve and exercise good judgment and diplomacy at all times
- Ability to work weekend hours
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Some knowledge of Asian art and culture preferred
- E-commerce experience is a bonus
- $15.77 per hour-$18.94 per hour, with excellent benefits package.
- Please Note: This position is represented by SEIU 1021.
Apply online at http://asianart.snaphire.com/jobdetails?ajid=dySE7
The Asian Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the Western world devoted exclusively to Asian art and culture. Home to more than 17,000 works of art from over 40 Asian countries, we strive to be a catalyst for discovery, dialogue, and inspiration. With Asia as our lens and art as our cornerstone, we spark connections across cultures and through time, igniting curiosity, conversation, and creativity.
The Asian Art Museum embraces diversity in its mission, programs, and staff.
Address: 200 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA 94102