Arts Jobs - DetailAssistant Conductor
Los Angeles Master Chorale
Los Angeles, CA
Position: Assistant Conductor
Reports to: Artistic Director
Works with: Artistic Personnel & Production Manager, Educational Programs Manager
Status: Full Time, exempt
Effective: July 1, 2016
The Los Angeles Master Chorale, a dynamic and thriving resident company of The Music Center of Los Angeles County performing at Walt Disney Concert Hall, seeks an exceptionally gifted musician to be its Assistant Conductor. The Assistant Conductor must be a versatile and highly talented individual who will command the respect of Chorale members and contribute significantly to the ensemble’s artistic growth. Reporting to the Artistic Director, the Assistant Conductor must have a comprehensive knowledge of choral repertory, strong conducting technique, excellent rehearsal preparation skills and the versatility to communicate in a wide variety of traditional and non-traditional musical styles. The Assistant Conductor must be available to cover the Artistic Director for all LAMC rehearsals and main stage performances, and be prepared to conduct concerts with little to no advanced notice. In addition, he or she will demonstrate a proven ability to work effectively with professional musicians, and should be able to represent the Artistic Director and the organization in public performances, events and patron interactions.
Provide Artistic Support For LAMC Artistic Director:
- Cover the Artistic Director for all LAMC rehearsals and main-stage performances; be prepared to conduct concerts with little to no advanced notice
- Conduct preparatory and sectional rehearsals as requested
- Attend preparatory rehearsals to collect and organize the Artistic Director’s comments and markings and listen for ensemble balance and preparation
- For stage rehearsals at Walt Disney Concert Hall and other performance venues, advise Artistic Director regarding issues of balance and other musical considerations
- The Assistant Conductor may be asked to prepare the ensemble and attend performances with the LA Philharmonic and other guest ensembles when the Artistic Director is unavailable
- Advise and assist the Artistic Director on programming and repertory, and collaborate with the Artistic Production staff on compiling repertoire research, solo/small ensemble requirements, details of vocal divisi, rehearsal planning and other musical and logistical issues
- Prepare rehearsal and performance ensemble seating charts
- Screen and audition new chorister applicants
- Work with Production Manager on rehearsal and concert production issues
Conducting LAMC Performances:
- The Artistic Director and Assistant Conductor will identify opportunities for the Assistant Conductor to conduct the ensemble on selected works and programs during the season
LAMC Education and Community Engagement:
- Cast, program, prepare and conduct a 16-member ensemble from the Chorale in a performance at the annual High School Choir Festival
- Advise Music Director regarding recruitment and selection of singers for LAMC educational and community engagement services
- Lead preparatory rehearsals for the High School Choir Festival Honor Choir
- Collaborate with the Educational Programs Manager to select repertoire for Chamber Singers’ educational and community engagement services
- Participate in LAMC educational services, master classes and planning, as requested
- Assistant Conductor may be asked to program, prepare and conduct special services such as community performances or funeral services for LAMC patrons
- Participate in LAMC artistic planning discussions, as needed
- May be asked to professionally represent the Artistic Director and the organization in public speaking appearances and interactions
- Attend LAMC concerts, special events and programs, as needed their duties and responsibilities as directed
- Masters of Music degree preferred, or the equivalent experience working with professional-level choral and instrumental ensembles
- Demonstrated experience preparing and conducting a chorus at the collegiate level or higher
- Demonstrated professional knowledge of vocal technique and choral and orchestral repertoire
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with LAMC Artistic Director, professional musicians, and professional administrative staff
- LAMC artistic and administrative leadership expects that the Assistant Conductor position will be a primary commitment among a qualified candidate’s current and future professional engagements
Candidates for this position must understand that the Los Angeles Master Chorale’s search for an Assistant Conductor is entirely separate from any such future effort that may be undertaken to engage a Music Director upon expiration of an existing contract and should make no assumptions about Music Directorship succession.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit application materials online at www.lamc.org/jobs. To be considered, the following materials must be received no later than Friday, December 4, 2015:
- A current resume/CV (including significant repertoire and ensembles conducted);
- Two (2) letters of professional reference;
- A video compilation of up to 15 minutes of conducting footage demonstrating a diverse range of musical and conducting styles.
Applicants are encouraged to submit video conducting compilations electronically, such as linking to a video stream on platforms such as YouTube, DropBox, etc. If you are unable to submit conducting footage online, applicants may submit a DVD by mail. Finalists will be invited to interview with the Artistic Director and President/CEO, and will participate in a conducting audition with the LA Master Chorale at a to-be-determined date in January, 2016. All communications will be considered confidential.
LAMC is an equal opportunity employer. Salary will be commensurate with experience, full benefits package available.
MISSION | The Los Angeles Master Chorale is an independent and innovative professional vocal ensemble that shares the traditional and evolving spectrum of choral music with the widest possible audience. We advance this art through performance, community education, collaboration, commissioning, and recording.
ABOUT US | Giving a voice to Walt Disney Concert Hall, the Grammy-nominated Los Angeles Master Chorale is led by Artistic Director Grant Gershon. Proclaimed "the nation's most pioneering major chorus" (Los Angeles Times), it has also been hailed as "inspired" (The New York Times), "magnificent" (Chicago Tribune) and "a superb vocal ensemble" (The New York Observer). In September 2015, the Chorale launches its 52nd season as a resident company of The Music Center of Los Angeles County and its 13th as the resident chorus at Disney Hall. Presenting its own concert series each season, it performs choral music from the earliest writings to the most recent contemporary compositions. To date, the choir has commissioned 48 and premiered 110 new works, of which 74 were world premieres, and has been awarded three ASCAP/Chorus America Awards for Adventurous Programming as well as Chorus America's prestigious Margaret Hillis Award for Choral Excellence. The Chorale has performed in more than 500 concerts with the Los Angeles Philharmonic at both Disney Hall and the Hollywood Bowl, and has toured with the orchestra to Europe and New York City. It has also appeared at the Ojai Music Festival, the Great Performers series at Lincoln Center, the Ravinia Festival and the Overture Center in Madison, Wisconsin, as well as in leading venues throughout the Southland. Its discography includes five commercial CDs under Gershon's baton. The latest, released in 2012 on Decca, features three works by Polish composer Henryk Górecki. In addition, in 2013, as part of its 50th anniversary season celebration, the Chorale released a digital recording featuring signature a cappella works available online-only at LAMC.org, iTunes and Amazon.com. LAMC previously released three CDs under former Music Director Paul Salamunovich on RCM, including the Grammy-nominated Lauridsen-Lux Aeterna. The Chorale is also featured with Gershon on the soundtracks of such major motion pictures as Lady in the Water and License to Wed. Serving more than 30,000 audience members of all ages annually, the Los Angeles Master Chorale also provides education outreach to some 6,000 students each year.
As an independent non-profit organization, LAMC’s Board of Directors and professional staff are committed to a vibrant collaboration to achieve LAMC’s mission.
For more information about the Los Angeles Master Chorale, visit www.lamc.org.