Arts Jobs - DetailDevelopment Assistant
San Diego Repertory Theatre
San Diego, CA
San Diego Repertory Theatre
Development Assistant Job Description
About The Company
Mission- San Diego Repertory Theatre produces intimate, exotic, provocative theatre. We promote a more inclusive community through vivid works that nourish progressive political and social values and celebrate the multiple voices of our region. San Diego Repertory Theatre feeds the curious soul.
The company was founded in 1976 by Sam Woodhouse and D.W. Jacobs. Since moving to the Lyceum in 1986, we have produced 47 main stage productions by Latino playwrights and hosted artistic residencies by Luis Valdez, Max Roach, Amiri Baraka, Culture Clash, and many more. We have also produced 22 works by or about African Americans. To date we have produced 48 world premieres.
In addition to a 1998 Tony Award® Nomination for It Ain’t Nothin’ But the Blues, we have received over 200 awards for artistic excellence from the San Diego Theatre Critics Circle, Patté Theatre Awards, NAACP, Backstage West, Dramalogue, and StageScene LA. In 2005, the San Diego Theatre Critics Circle presented the REP with the Craig Noel Award “For 30 Years of Artistic Dedication to Downtown and Diversity.”
Our mission is informed by a commitment to artistic virtuosity, partnerships with singular artists and our inquisitive neighbors, and lively conversations about our role as citizens in the bi-national region we call home. We choose provocative works of theatre to inspire our audiences and artists to build the communication bridges needed to understand who we are today, and who we might become.
We produce an eclectic mix of world premieres, brilliant contemporary plays and re-imagined classics. To enhance the theatre experience and encourage dialogue around each REP production, over 65 Surround Events are offered free of charge throughout the season—a diverse assortment of pre- and post-performance salons, mini concerts, and forums with area scholars and artists.
San Diego Repertory Theatre provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties. All employees are expected to be familiar with and adhere to San Diego Repertory Theatre’s Personnel Policies and Procedures.
Reporting to the Development Manager, the Development Assistant will provide administrative support to the Director of Philanthropy, Development Team, Managing Director, and serves as the primary support person to the Board of Trustees.
- Processes mail, contributions, facilitates donor data entry, and donor acknowledgements.
- Provides administrative support for all fundraising and special campaign initiatives.
- Manages incoming phone calls, schedules meetings, produces correspondence, prepares expense reports, orders supplies, and other administrative support duties.
- Provides general assistance to the Development Team, Managing Director, and Board of Trustees by maintaining calendars, coordinating schedules, scheduling meetings, recording meeting minutes, preparing meeting materials, coordinating and communicating meeting logistics, and related tasks.
- Provides support to Development Consultant(s) and fundraising volunteer committees.
- Manage donor prospect information including: maintenance of files on donor prospects, updating stakeholder information in database, and following up with appropriate staff regarding necessary follow-up.
- Coordinates preparation and finalizes the packaging and mailing of gift request proposals to individuals.
- Support Development Events with event tasks, such as, Opening Nights and Donor Lunches/Dinners, including: recording RSVPs, provide information to attendees, assist with event logistics (i.e. name tags, place cards, menus, check-in, etc.); assist in event coordination of vendors, and support with event setup and breakdown.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and essential skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (especially MS Word/Excel)
- Knowledge of development and donor information management systems. Familiarity with Tessitura preferred, but not required
- Interest in online and various research techniques
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to effectively multi-task, shift priorities, and meet deadlines
- Exceptional customer service standards
- High ethical standards
Education, Experience and Licensing
- Four years of college from an accredited college or university, or equivalent work history preferred
- Two years or more of administrative support experience; experience in fundraising preferred, but not required
- Interest in theatre arts required
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified. Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- Staff members are expected to consciously and continuously promote the mission, values, programs, and impact of the organization when presented with opportunities for participating in membership development and reaching out to personal connections on behalf of San Diego Repertory Theatre.
- San Diego Repertory Theatre is not able to provide relocation assistance for this position.
The position will receive competitive compensation. This position is a full time salaried position and is eligible for benefits, which include paid vacation as accrued, health insurance and an opportunity to purchase group dental and vision insurance.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com and tell us why you are the ideal candidate for this specific job. Form letters or resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.In your cover letter, please indicate how you became aware of this job opportunity. Due to the high volume of submissions received, we will not respond to every submission. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. We will contact qualified candidates to set up interviews.
San Diego Repertory Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We support, promote and embrace a diverse workforce.
Addressee:79 Horton Plaza
Address: San Diego, CA 92101