Arts Jobs - DetailLead Photographer
Venice Arts seeks a photographer to work on a part-time basis as a teaching artist (Lead Photographer). Working under the direct supervision of the Director of Education, the Lead Photographer has the following, primary responsibilities:
- Teach 4 photography workshops each academic cycle and one in summer
- Develop age-appropriate, standards-based syllabi for each class that supports Venice Arts’ curricular goals
- Interview, place, support, and retain volunteer artist-mentors placed in workshops (generally three per class)
- Assure the weekly, effective management of all art and media produced by students, using Venice Arts existing protocols
- Work with the Director of Education to select work for the archive, special exhibits, and web features
- Assure workshop evaluation
- Work with youth to prepare projects for exhibition and install youths’ work
- Identify youth whose work is ready for submission to competitions, and work with them (individually and/or in small groups) to prepare their submissions
- Work cooperatively with the Director of Education, and other members of the Art Mentoring Program (AMP) team, to assure efficient program operations
- Other duties as assigned
- The ideal candidate is a working photographer with a minimum of two years experience teaching photography to youth; a background in documentary photography, street photography, or photojournalism; and a demonstrated understanding of a broad range of contemporary and history photographers and practices. Advanced degree preferred, but not required.
- Those without prior photography teaching experience will not be considered.
- The ideal candidate demonstrates an ability to develop age-appropriate, standards-based syllabi, and understands pedagogical approaches that are project-based, highly interactive, and student centered. Must demonstrate an understanding of how documentary and digital storytelling concepts can be integrated into workshops for youth. Experience with multimedia storytelling (image and audio) and working with video a plus. A high level of computer proficiency required, including being expert with current innovations in digital arts software. Experience working with volunteers and/or training other artists a strong plus.
- The ideal candidate is well-organized, detailed-oriented, and able to multi-task. She or he works well as a team member, as well as independently. Must demonstrate a genuine interest in Venice Arts’ mission.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a part-time (20 hours per week) position with a Tuesday-Friday (afternoon) and Saturday (morning), work schedule. The salary starts at $20,800 with sick time and vacation benefits commensurate with the percentage worked, the latter accruing after the initial 90-days and the ability to participate in employee-funded 401(k) retirement plan. Health coverage is not provided part-time employees.
How to Apply:
Email your résumé, along with a cover letter highlighting relevant experience, to firstname.lastname@example.org ("Lead Photographer" in the subject line). Please, no phone enquiries or walk-ins. Work samples, syllabi samples and additional information may be requested if an interview is scheduled. Because of the large volume of applications, we will not able to respond to every applicant's submission.
Venice Arts mission is to ignite youths’ imagination, mentor their creativity, and expand their sense of possibility through high quality, accessible media-based arts education programs. Venice Arts also serves as a catalyst for people of all ages, living in low-income or underrepresented communities, to create and share personal and community stories through photography, film, and multi-media.
Address: 1702 Lincoln Blvd., Venice, CA 90291