Arts Jobs - DetailPreparator
Minnesota Street Project
San Francisco, CA
Minnesota Street Project is seeking a full-time preparator with expert install & packaging skills to join our exciting new initiative.
Minnesota Street Project Art Services provides a comprehensive, concierge-based art collection management service to private collectors, galleries, and institutions. Adhering to the best art handling practices, we document, inventory, store, and present artwork in conformance with museum standards, working with an extensive network of affiliated providers to crate, ship, conserve, and appraise client artworks. Our 50,000 ft2 storage facility features state-of the art environmental-control, security, and fire safety systems, as well as an attractive, comfortable, and flexibly lit viewing room and photography facility.
- Expertly handles and tracks artwork in our climate and non-climate controlled areas of the warehouse, in accordance with museum standards; fully maximizes storage for clientele.
- Unpacks and wraps all artworks and stages them for photographing/storage; assists the registrar with barcoding and condition reports.
- Anticipates shipments and takes all necessary steps to streamline the incoming and outgoing processes.
- Installs artwork in on-site viewing rooms, as well as 1275 Minnesota galleries and private residencies.
- Ensures strong communication is facilitated and deadlines are continually met.
- Attends weekly department meetings, as well as occasional programming events at 1275 Minnesota Street.
- Keeps warehouse consistently clean and useable, bringing a proactive approach.
- Inventories supplies and administers reuse/recycling policies.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- BA in Visual Arts, Humanities, Art History or equivalent required; MA preferred.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a museum, gallery or art shipping organization; demonstrated expertise in art handling techniques and storing practices.
- Ability to quickly identify and resolve problems, ensuring projects stay on schedule.
- Demonstrated concern for detail, accuracy and precise execution of work; excellent communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Works well independently and in a team; gracefully shifts between warehouse, client and office settings.
- Experienced operating warehouse equipment (VRCs, forklifts, scissor lifts, and pallet jacks) a plus.
- Valid CA license and willingness to deliver and install artwork on a moment’s notice.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and safely cart artwork within a a block.
- Proficient with PC and Mac operating systems and software, including Adobe and Microsoft Suites and FilemakerPro.
Please email a single PDF that includes a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements with the subject line Preparator (Install)_LAST NAME to email@example.com. No calls, please.
We will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. Thanks for your interest in Minnesota Street Project Art Services.
Contact:Art Services Director