Arts Jobs - DetailLead Preparator
Established in 1976, L.A. Louver is committed to local and international contemporary artists, with a program focused on painting and sculpture.
We are seeking an experienced and highly skilled Lead Preparator to join our team. Based out of our Venice Beach gallery, this is a full-time salaried position, with benefits.
The ideal candidate must be knowledgeable in the best practices of art handling and gallery maintenance, with proven experience working in a contemporary art gallery or museum. In addition to contributing technical art handling skills, the Lead Preparator will be a professional and personable communicator, have keen attention to detail and proven project management skills, and be able to prioritize responsibilities under demanding deadlines.
- Secure onsite inventory storage, ensuring cleanliness and safety, using best practices
- Maintain registration system for artworks, including inventory labeling and location updates
- Prepare artwork for shipment, including the construction of custom storage crates, travel frames, collars, boxes and pallets for safe storage and movement
- Deliiver and pick up artwork from offsite storage locations, coordinating with framers, conservators, fabricators and artist studios
Internal Art Installation
- Install artwork at the gallery as required for exhibitions, backrooms and client presentations
- Act as primary preparatory in client and institutional presentations, interfacing with directors and clients
- Execute and maintain exhibition lighting
- Install exhibition signage
- Assist with the fabrication of maquettes and full-scale mockups
- Assist with crate unpacking, installation and special projects at private warehouse as required
- Supervise part-time preparators during installation and projects
External Art Installation
- Prepare artworks for transportation and local delivery
- Assess placement of artwork in client homes, and execute delivery and installation to the highest standards
- Design pedestals and mounts for custom installation, overseeing fabricators and vendors through production
- Maintain clean, organized, functional and well stocked preparatory area
- Oversee maintenance of all functions of gallery exterior and interior, including supervising service vendors (janitorial, doors, HVAC, painting, electrical, plumbing, appliances, floors, pest control) and ensuring inventory of necessary supplies
- Maintain company vehicle service and appearance
- Oversee maintenance of other gallery property
- Assist with personal projects as necessary for directors
The Lead Preparator will be principally supervised by the gallery’s Registrar, with gallery installation, building maintenance and special project involvement overseen by the Exhibitions Manager. Work days will be Tuesday through Saturday, with additional hours required by installations and special events.
- Minimum two years of professional experience at an art gallery or museum (or relevant experience with an art handling company, fabricator or artist studio)
- Valid CA driver’s license in good standing
- Ability to consistently lift heavy objects up to 75 pounds
- Skill and experience operating forklift, scissor lift, material lift and gantry
- General carpentry, framing, drywall and painting skills
- Safely operate shop tools and power equipment
- Proficiency in Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, Google Sketchup; familiarity with FileMaker Pro and Artbase a plus