Arts Jobs - DetailLead Appraiser
Shabtai's Auction House
North Hollywood, CA
Are you a talented and knowledgeable in the antiques/ auction house world? Then set your sights on a high-profile career in our unique environment.
We are in need for a lead property appraisal for a new auction house in the categories of old/antique coins, comics, historical, modern & contemporary art, illustration art, decorative arts, entertainment and music, armory, furniture and more.
SUMMARY: Responsible for building relationships and providing specialist opinion for authenticating on all aspects of vetting of conditions and properties consigned.
Please apply with a cover letter.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answer inquiries
- Evaluate property and establish auction estimates
- Acquire consignments
- Assist with authentication, cataloguing, essays, and condition reporting as needed
- Proofread catalogs, essays, and advertising copy
- Market lots in auctions to various clients
- Participate in expansion of client database
- Oversee previews and actively participate in auctions
- Other duties may be assigned
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, preferred; 5+ years experience as a commercial dealer and/ or in a major auction house working environment with a focus in at least 5 of the above specialty areas; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Must be highly proficient in basic Microsoft applications, specifically Word and Excel; have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written); high ability to multitask; pay great attention to detail; have a positive attitude with exceptional customer service skills. Public speaking talents are a plus!
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, & REGISTRATIONS are necessary
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Individual must be able to work in a fast paced team environment.
The following are attributes that we are seeking in all employees:
- Self-motivation, intelligence, and strong work ethic
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to follow set standards and take direction
- Ability to analyze and propose solutions to problems
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-project, and dynamic environment
- Absolute drive to complete projects on time and in a detailed manner
- Excellent organizational skills: accurate and thorough
- Excellent communication skills: listening, writing, and verbal
- Other skills and talents is a plus.