Arts Jobs - DetailLead Teaching Artists for Mission Voices Summer 2016
San Francisco, CA
THREE PART-TIME CONTRACT SUMMER TEACHING ARTISTS POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Southern Exposure is seeking three LEAD TEACHING ARTISTS for Mission Voices Summer (MVS). MVS is a four-week intensive summer arts program in which young people utilize the visual arts to exercise leadership skills and explore issues relevant to them and their community. MVS is a collaboration between Southern Exposure’s Artist in Education (AIE) program and community-based youth organizations in San Francisco.
About the Job: Three Lead Teaching Artists, along with three Teaching Artist Assistants and Southern Exposure’s Artists in Education Program Director will collaborate with and teach approximately 30-45 youth divided into three groups to produce projects based on a socially relevant theme. The program runs Monday
through Thursday for 4 weeks (July 11 to August 4, 2016) from 2 to 5 PM; it culminates in a final exhibition in SoEx’s gallery space, on view to the public from August 4 to August 13, 2016.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Teaching Artist Assistants, Youth Leaders, and the AIE Program Director to select a workshop theme
- Design workshop curriculum
- Attend weekly planning sessions and post-project evaluation meetings
- Gather materials and resources for projects
- Lead the daily workshops in collaboration with Teaching Artist Assistants
- Update AIE Program Director about progress, achievements and challenges
- Prepare project for final exhibition
- Youth teaching experience, particularly with populations who have socioeconomic barriers
- Experience in art curriculum development
- A practicing visual artist with experience in installation, site-specific work, social practices, photography, video, and other forms of visual art
- Good communication skills and experience working collaboratively
- Spanish and/or Chinese language proficiency a plus
Curriculum: Teaching Artists are required to collaboratively propose a socially relevant theme, develop workshops that address that theme, and produce an exhibition at Southern Exposure. Each lead teaching
artist is responsible for writing a curriculum for their workshops, including goals and objectives of the lessons, proposed outcomes, skills learned, activities, materials needed, themes covered, field trips, etc.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit work samples and a single PDF attachment that includes the following as part of your application:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Proposal: Please submit a 1-page proposal that outlines a possible project for Mission Voices Summer with a specific medium focus (photography, videography, sculpture, installation, painting, sound, digital media, printmaking, etc). Include an outline of possible curriculum structure, thematic ideas explored and how the project is to be displayed at Southern Exposure. Pleaseconsider past projects at Southern Exposure (both through the Artists in Education and Exhibitions/Projects programs) as examples.
- Links to work samples:
- Up to 15 digital images hosted online
- No more then five minutes of video hosted online
- Projects and work developed with youth are encouraged!
- Descriptive list explaining each sample
Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email should be: Mission Voices Summer, your name.
Position Posting Date: March 25, 2016
Deadline to submit application: April 22, 2016 by 5 PM sharp.
Projected start date: Late May, 2016
Compensation: Lead Teaching Artists will receive a $2,500 stipend, payable in two installments, for 48 teaching hours and up to 24 preparation hours.
Southern Exposure is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Persons with diverse backgrounds and experiences are strongly encouraged to apply.