Arts Jobs - DetailCommunications Coordinator
San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory
San Diego, CA
SAN DIEGO YOUTH SYMPHONY AND CONSERVATORY
Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports To: External Relations Director
Status: Full time, non-exempt
The San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory (SDYS) instills excellence in the musical and personal development of students through rigorous and inspiring musical training experiences. Students have the opportunity to rehearse and perform through the Conservatory Program, a traditional ensemble experience with weekend rehearsals throughout the school year. Additionally, SDYS strives to make music education affordable and accessible to all. It is advancing this vision in part through its Community Program, which provides beginning music education to students and supports school music programs.
The Communications Coordinator promotes SDYS’ Conservatory and Community Programs by coordinating marketing and communications. S/he is responsible to the External Relations Director and works closely with other administrative staff in a busy, team environment. The Communications Coordinator develops digital media to reach new audiences; creates promotional materials for auditions, concerts, and special events; represents SDYS at events; and communicates with diverse patrons, volunteers, contractors, media personnel, and more. S/he shares SDYS’ vision to make music education “accessible and affordable for all.”
- Develop and maintain an active online presence including Drupal/Wordpress website, Facebook, Twitter, other social media and blogs.
- Source content, design, write, proof and send out e-blasts and monthly e-newsletters, as well as be responsible for maintaining and growing mailing lists.
- Promote SDYS events using both online and traditional media tools.
- Analyze marketing campaigns through Google Analytics and enhance online presence through Google Adwords campaigns.
- Create all printed promotional materials including print ads, web banners, social media graphics, event signage and multi-page concert programs.
- Organize and direct creative support from graphic artists, photographers, printers and videographers as required.
- Solicit advertisements for program books.
- Write press releases, engage and grow local and national media contact list, monitor and catalogue press coverage.
- Pitch local and national TV, radio, and print story ideas to outlets.
- Communicate with partners, sponsors and grants to ensure all our materials are compliant with their branding guidelines.
- Collaborate with SDYS Directors to develop content in line with organization’s intended message and coordinate with other staff members from Conservatory and Community programs to develop content and ensure all events and programs are being marketed.
- Organize direct mail campaigns.
- Organize and maintain the SDYS photo and video library and select photos, graphics and videos to include in promotional materials.
- Write, edit and/or direct script and video production. Knowledge of iMovie, Final Cut or similar is helpful.
- Track and report the use of marketing budget and present new marketing strategies.
- Represent SDYS at events including concerts, fundraisers, or other community opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned by the External Relations Director.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to:
- prioritize, shift priorities, multi-task and work efficiently under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- work effectively independently and in collaborative settings
- exercise good judgment and initiative and know when to ask questions
- Experience with:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Creative Suite, notably InDesign and Photoshop.
- Managing and updating Wordpress website
- Google apps, including Adwords and Analytics
- Facebook ads
- Constant Contact or similar
- iMovie, Final Cut or similar helpful
- At least 2 years of experience in an office setting.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience in the performing arts preferred.
- Written and spoken Spanish preferred.
- Typing speed of at least 50 wpm required.
This is a full-time, hourly position with some responsibilities on weekends and/or evenings depending on the season calendar. Position is open until filled with an estimated start date in Summer 2016. To apply, please email a current resume and thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com.