Arts Jobs - DetailExecutive Director
Young Audiences of Northern California
San Francisco, CA
Executive Director Position Description
Young Audiences of Northern California (YANC), a leading provider of arts experiences for youth, is seeking a passionate and strategic leader who values the arts, education, and most importantly fostering the growth of young people, staff, artists, and community partners. The full-time Executive Director (ED) will help YANC achieve its mission of providing arts experiences that inspire young people, expand learning, and enliven communities.
Arts education in America has documented benefits for students. Students who are able to participate in the arts have higher rates of success at all levels of their education; for example, students who are involved in the arts are four times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement than those who aren't. Yet opportunities for arts exposure in schools have dropped dramatically over the past twenty-five years. Today 97% of elementary schools nationwide do not offer dance and 96% do not offer theater. Worse, arts access is further limited for students of color.
As the new ED, you will be the driving force behind this exciting and critical change. Not only will your work seek to create equity and enrichment for all young people, but you will also have the chance to develop the strategic direction for the organization. Together with the board's, your vision for programming, fundraising, operations, and hiring will shape Young Audience's future and thus the future of youth in the Bay Area.
The Successful Candidate Will
- Lead and implement organizational and programmatic activities that support YANC’s mission and promote the organization’s ambitious goals for growth;
- Recalibrate existing partnerships, create new partnerships, leverage existing resources, and source new ones to increase organizational effectiveness and sustainability;
- Implement creative strategies related to policy and procedure and oversee YANC’s administration, including management of staff, finances, and programming;
- Inspire, coach, and develop staff, artists, and community partners to maximize engagement, strengthen the brand, and expand YANC’s reach;
- Serve as the primary public face of the organization and drive successful fundraising, marketing, sales, and communications efforts.
Who You Are
- Strategic (able to set forth a vision), passionate people-person (ability to instill excitement in others about new ideas and quickly gain buy-in), pragmatic (anticipate barriers to success and develop solutions for overcoming obstacles), excellent project manager (you easily execute on tasks to accomplish desired outcomes within budget and on schedule);
- Thrives working in a small team environment where members actively support one another’s work efforts and offer help when needed;
- Comfortable moving back and forth on a daily basis between strategic responsibilities (exploring and thinking big) and tactical items (focusing on and executing the details);
- Highly emotionally intelligent with ability to tune into the nuances (behaviors, work styles, communication styles) of self and others (diverse and multicultural artists, staff, board members, and community members) and adjust behaviors accordingly;
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a passion for starting and/or revamping operations and programs; able to respond creatively to challenges and inspire others to do the same.
- A mind-set for thinking ‘outside of the box’ on ways to expand programming outside of the school environment.
- Curious and playful--comfortable joining the kids for a drumming session during an assembly or getting dirty with paints.
- Highly motivated by working for a mission-driven organization.
- A collaborative and transparent manager--able to coach, motivate, and empower; inspire growth and confidence, bring out the best in others.
- A beacon for the organization and community. Ability to connect with the community on a deeper level and convey the passion for the work we do.
Our Board of Directors, staff, artists, and community partners are comprised of creative, diverse, and dynamic individuals that value authenticity, curiosity, self-discovery, self-expression, understanding, and connection. We leverage differences in work and learning styles to maximize our efforts and deliver outstanding experiences. We work hard and enjoy having fun. Most importantly, we believe in the mission and support one another in our personal and professional endeavors.
Send an email with the subject line “YANC Executive Director” to email@example.com.
Please attach: your resume and a one-page or less cover letter detailing why you believe you would be a great fit for this position. No phone calls please. Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
An initial review of submissions will be completed by 6/24/16.
Young Audiences seeks candidates that nurture our commitment to providing outstanding services that impact diverse and multicultural children, families, artists, and community members. Young Audiences is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.