Arts Jobs - DetailKidseum Educator
Santa Ana, CA
Kidseum Educator: Part-Time
The primary purpose of this position is to prepare and design common core art projects for school art class lessons in conjunction with the Bowers Museum and Bowers Kidseum exhibitions. The Kidseum Educator assist with managing the year round After School Learning Center by developing all activities and more. This position is also responsible for developing all public art projects and training other staff on how to lead the projects.
- Conduct school, family and other group tours at Kidseum as needed
- Develop art projects for school groups, general public, and the After School Learning Center
- Developing lessons following content standards
- Provides hands-on training and orientation to Kidseum Education Associates, Kidseum Art Instructors and volunteers on scheduled art projects, family festivals, archeology projects, etc.
- Prepare informational and educational handouts for parents and teachers
- Present suggestions to the Director of Kidseum and the Senior Director of Education at the Bowers Museum regarding program themes, specific art projects for family festivals, art-labs, teen and family workshops, and other related cultural programs
- Ensure that projects and programs offered at Kidseum align with common core and classroom curriculum
- Prepares lesson plans for weekly projects for the After School Learning Center utilizing the Smart Board
- Assist with managing the After School Learning Center (manage progress reports, activities, homework, discipline, communicating with parents, supervising interns…)
- Leading art classes for birthday parties, scout groups, summer camps.
- Other duties as assigned
- Conduct all responsibilities in a safe manner according to regulations (OSHA, IIPP, etc.)
- When working public hours, the ability to multi task and utilize the POS System Altru
- Sell birthday parties, summer camps, and memberships and enter them properly in Altru
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made. Experience writing standard based curriculum, developing interactive, family-oriented art projects and activities for museums and/or other informal learning organizations or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Education and/or Experience
B.A. degree and teaching credential is preferred (multi-subject or art credential preferred); fluent in Spanish required; experience working with children is required.
Other Skills, Abilities, and/or Training
- Ability to work extended hours as needed
- Ability to work weekends
- Ability to preserve confidentiality of information
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work within strict deadlines
- Good interpersonal skills and desire to be a team player
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent written communication skills (i.e. business letter writing, grammar, etc.)
- Excellent oral communication skills (i.e. ability to deal effectively with others, speak professionally on the phone, etc.)
- Sense of creativity
- Face painting experience is a plus
- Fluent in Spanish is required
- SMART technology experience a plus
- Familiarity with industry terms and processes
- Proficient with Microsoft® Office Suite
- Regularly required to remain seated in a normal position for long periods of time
- Occasionally required to stand for long periods of time
- Regularly required to move about
- Occasionally required to climb stairs and/or ladders
- Regularly required to maintain balance while walking, standing, crouching, or running
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl
- Occasionally required to reach up and out with hands and arms
- Regularly required to talk and hear; verbally express information or instructions
- Regularly required to use hands to grasp objects, type, pick up objects, move objects, or hold objects
- Occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds and carry a distance of 10 feet
- Occasionally required to push and/or pull up to 25 pounds a distance of 10 feet
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Rarely exposed to outdoor weather and temperature extremes
- Regularly exposed to indoor conditions
- Rarely exposed to extreme noise level
- Rarely exposed to chemicals, fumes, dust, or work safety hazards
The individual is regularly exposed to indoor conditions and moderate noise level; the individual is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather and temperature extremes.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employee assigned to this job.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply email a resume, cover letter, and two letters of recommendation to Jennifer Alvarado firstname.lastname@example.org
If selected for an interview the candidate will lead an original art lesson to a classroom of students ranging in grade from kinder to 6th grade.