Arts Jobs - DetailDirector of Administrative Operations
SOMArts Cultural Center
San Francisco, CA
Job Title: Director of Administrative Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours & Location: 40 hours per week, typically 8-hour shifts Monday–Friday, including some evenings and weekends for large events. SOMArts Cultural Center is located at 934 Brannan St. in San Francisco.
Position Description: SOMArts Cultural Center seeks an organized, detailed, business-oriented and personable Director of Administrative Operations to contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy. This position will be a key member of the team and will bring integrity, credibility, and dedication to the organization.This role ensures the day-to-day functioning of the organization, including administrative and financial management, oversight of SOMArts’ fiscal sponsorship program, human resources and the technology infrastructure. Additionally, this team member will lead the internship and volunteer program, and will provide support to programmatic and fundraising initiatives.
The Director of Administrative Operations reports to and works closely with the Executive Director.
Job duties by function and percentage of time may be modified and other duties may be assigned:
Operations and Administration (50%)
- Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of operational systems, processes and policies in support of better management and data reporting, information flow and management, business processes and organizational planning across all departments
- Further develop SOMArts’ human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, staff recruitment, onboarding and training
- Recruit and manage volunteers and interns to support SOMArts’ creative programs and events
- Educate employees regarding staff tools, policies and procedures
- Work closely and transparently with external partners including fiscally sponsored projects, third-party vendors and consultants
- Serve as primary liaison to legal counsel in addressing legal issues e.g. copyright, partnerships, licensing, etc.
- Troubleshoot copier, computer, and phone issues; work with external vendors, including IT, phone, and office cleaners
- Oversee organizational HR and insurance policies and lease agreements
- Maintain and properly store SOMArts’ archival financial, accounting, government and administrative files
Financial Management and Bookkeeping assistance (25%)
- Manage all fiscal sponsorship activities, innovating new opportunities for SOMArts to provide support and professional development to our fiscally sponsored projects
- In partnership with the Financial Manager administer payroll and employee benefits and organizational insurance, including tabulation of accrued employee benefits
- Manage all grantor contracts, data reporting and reimbursement requests
- Partner with Financial Manager to fulfil tax related requirements
- Develop, maintain and monitor all fundraising and accounting systems and procedures to capture all pledges; assist with donor acknowledgement and follow up
- Manage government filings
Executive Director Support (25%)
- Work with the ED on organizational goals, initiatives and strategies
- Help coordinate, schedule, and organize Board meetings (approximately 4 per year); provide logistical support for board/staff meetings and other meetings or events
- Manage board meeting tasks including filing, copying, and taking minutes
- Partner with the ED in essential internal leadership activities (human resources, administration, board and staff organizational planning
- Help manage ED’s time by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel
- Represent the organization by attending meetings and events in the ED’s absence
- Protect operations by keeping organizational and financial information confidential
- Act as key internal contact in the ED’s absence
- BA/BS or Associate’s Degree, or a combination of at least 5 years relevant professional experience and education
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse staff and stakeholders to solve problems and innovate creative solutions
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the SOMArts vision and mission
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A commitment to the arts and culture
- A commitment to high professional ethical standards
- Affinity for improving organizational processes, creating efficient systems, and institutionalizing knowledge
- Discretion in maintaining confidential information
- Excels at operating in a fast paced, community environment
- Grants management and fundraising skills a huge plus
- Previous experience with Quickbooks or other accounting software preferred
- Experience and competency with Word, Google Docs, Excel necessary; familiarity with Dropbox, Asana and Salesforce a plus
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status a plus
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends for special events
- Full time, 40 hours a week
- Professional development opportunities
- A supportive, team-based environment
- A chance to work in the arts with talented, mission driven, passionate professionals
- An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
Commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, vacation and sick leave.
- Required to stand, walk, and sit.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
Please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please no phone calls.
Organizational Overview: SOMArts plays a vital role in the arts ecosystem by helping activate the arts citywide. We do this by providing space and production support for non-profit events, as well as fairs and festivals throughout the Bay Area, and offering a robust program of art exhibitions, classes, events and performances that are affordable and accessible to all.
SOMArts is beloved in San Francisco as a cross-cultural, community-built space where cutting-edge events and counterculture commingle with traditional art forms in a way that is open, engaging and inspiring. It is an incubator for ideas that lie outside the mainstream of contemporary art funding and consumption.
The South of Market Cultural Center is a 26,190 sq ft cultural center with two large performance/exhibition spaces, a flexible theater, a media lab, photography, ceramics and printmaking studios used on a weekly basis by professional artists, and four administrative offices.
Please visit our website: www.somarts.org
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SOMArts fosters a creative and professional environment that reflects the diversity of San Francisco. We actively recruit a wide pool of applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.
Address: 934 Brannan Street