Arts Jobs - DetailDevelopment Associate
AXIS Dance Company
Position Description - Development Associate
AXIS Dance Company
AXIS Dance Company (AXIS) exists to change the face of dance and disability.
We accomplish our mission through Artistic, Engagement, and Advocacy programs. Artistry is the heart of AXIS, and we collaborate with the highest profile dance makers, artists and teachers of our time, producing artistically stunning and significant dance works. AXIS' Engagement program began in direct response to community demand and is the most extensive integrated dance program in the US. Through Advocacy, AXIS champions access, equity, and inclusion, serving as a bridge between contemporary dance, physically integrated dance, and disability culture.
Entering our 30th year and under the Artistic Direction of Judith Smith, AXIS’ list of collaborators includes Bill T. Jones, Stephen Petronio, Yvonne Rainer, Ann Carlson, David Dorfman, Meredith Monk, Joan Jeanrenaud and Fred Frith. AXIS has toured to over 100 cities in US, Europe and Russia. The Company has received seven Isadora Duncan Dance Awards and has appeared twice on FOX TV's So You Think You Can Dance, exposing our genre of dance to millions.
You're someone who is passionate about the arts and fearless about fundraising. You might just be getting started, but you're in this for the long haul, and you envision yourself as an Arts Administrator or a Development Director in the future. You will play an essential role in AXIS’ future growth. You'll work closely with the Founder, Artistic Director and our Board to implement innovative strategies for gaining and sustaining ongoing support from foundations, corporations and individual donors.
Joining the AXIS team means joining a group of smart and dedicated people who are driving an established organization. Our culture is artist-focused and highly collaborative. As a new staff member, you'll have the chance to participate in meaningful conversations about the future of our organization, the impact we can have in our community, and the role of art in creating and vibrant, equitable society. We value the flexibility and perks of working at a mid-size arts organization and we think you will too.
The Development Associate will support the successful implementation of AXIS’ contributed income strategies, to include grants, mail solicitations, web strategy, events, donor research and board relations. You will be responsible for supporting all development efforts and maintaining accurate records. The Development Associate is a key player on the AXIS team and reports to the Founder.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and assess foundation, corporate and government funding opportunities
- Maintain relationships with foundations
- Write and edit grants, and prepare supporting documentation (narrative, budgets, reports, etc.) in collaboration with applicable staff.
- Complete California Cultural Data Project in collaboration with applicable staff
- Maintain grant calendar, grant files, databases and reporting schedules
- Coordinate corporate sponsor benefit fulfillment, and track and acknowledge all corporate sponsors
- Conduct donor research
- Coordinate stewardship activities including thank you notes, new donor packets, stewardship mailings, phone calls, and meetings
- Maintain records, files and databases related to individual donor fundraising
- Support the creation of materials for individual donor solicitation campaigns
- Coordinate individual benefit fulfillment
- Prepare materials for donor meetings, and assist in preparing materials for Development Committee and Board meetings
- Assist with Special Events
- Research and solicit in-kind sponsors of goods and services such as wine and spirits, food and catering, and design services among others
- Maintain inventory of in-kind goods and services received
- Maintain and promote in-kind wish list
Non Physical Demands/Qualifications:
Success in this position will depend upon the following skills, traits and requirements:
- Associate Degree or BA
- 1-3 year’s experience in a non-profit organization, preferably performing arts
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to manage projects and deadlines successfully within ambitious time frames
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively as needed
- Skilled at handling detailed work accurately
- Possess strong computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database software
- Experience with databases preferably Salesforce
- Ability to take direction
- Experience or willingness to work with people of all abilities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, ethnicities, and sexual orientations
- Have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle for running errands and attending events as needed
The responsibilities and tasks associated with this position will require that the Development Associate regularly remain in a sedentary position for at least 50% of the time. Development Associate must be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. The ability to constantly use a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a printer, copier, and calculator is necessary. Occasional lifting and/or moving of objects up to 20 pounds may be required. This position will require the ability to travel occasionally, both locally and long distances. Reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable otherwise qualified individuals to perform these functions.
This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change, or be eliminated. Management reserves the right to revise the responsibilities or to require other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
Equal Opportunity Employer
AXIS is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and people with disabilities.
Competitive Salary, depending on candidate's experience. Benefits include an employer-paid health plan and paid vacation. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Deadline for application is January 4, 2017. Position will begin early February 2017. Please send the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Associate Application”:
- A cover letter addressing why you want to work at AXIS and how your prior experience is relevant to this position.
- Two-three writing Samples.
- A detailed resume.
- Three professional references.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No calls, please.
Address: 1428 Alice Street, Suite 200